Mesh Appears to Install but Won't Run RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get the mesh operating environment to run on my desktop PC. It loaded and installed fine on my laptop.

On the desktop the program seems to have loaded but it does not show up in the ring. When I boot the computer I get the message that, "The mesh operating environment has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And the opportunity to send an error report. When I click OK the error report appears a second time. I also have an icon in my task bar that says live mesh is currently starting. This icon remains while I use the computer. I have removed and reinstalled the program a couple times but the result is always the same.

I also get a small blue box in the left corner of the screen titled “Live Mesh Beta.” It contains a small, red circle with a white x. Next to that are the words “Failed to start Live Mesh.” Below that are the instruction, “Click here to restart.” When I click on that I get a Mesh Operating Environment Error Box. When I click OK I get two more error boxes and eventually the small blue box returns.

AMD 64X2 6400

4GB Memory

WindowssXP SP3

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:58 PM

Answers

• When you tried the reinstall, did you simply use add/remove from Control Panel?
    Do you have administrative rights on the account you are installing under?

You may want to submit a bug report with logs:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:56 AM

All replies

• When you tried the reinstall, did you simply use add/remove from Control Panel?
    Do you have administrative rights on the account you are installing under?

You may want to submit a bug report with logs:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:56 AM
  • The first time I used add/remove from the control panel. The second time I used the Revo uninstall program. I am the sole user and have administrative rights.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:59 AM
  • The first time I used add/remove from the control panel. The second time I used the Revo uninstall program. I am the sole user and have administrative rights.

Unfortunately, the best I can offer is the bug report and you'll probably need to await the next release of the client to see if you can install that. I don't know how long it will be until that shows up, though.
    I had the same experience a long time back with a single XP machine that is now retired from service. It eventually worked after a number of attempts over several version upgrades of Live Mesh back then, so I have no clue why it wouldn't work originally.

On a side note, you'll see some threads here for "Failed to start Live Mesh" with a variety of solutions and no clear cause for the issue. I just encountered it on a Win7 x64 machine of mine last night. It had worked fine for many months, ever since the RTM version of Win7 was installed on the machine. Last night, for no reason that I can discern, it threw the error after a restart and the only remedy was a reinstall of the Live Mesh software.

My experience is unrelated to yours except to note that it is still a beta, so go ahead and file that bug report with your logs form that machine.

-steve
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:40 PM