Vista Home Basic switch to XP? RRS feed

• Question

•     In spring of 2007, I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with an intel Celeron M processor, and thought I was getting a good computer. Unfortunately, it also has Windows Vista Home Basic. It just keeps running slower and slower, and programs are CONSTANTLY locking up or (Not Responding). You other poor unfortunate souls know what I'm talking about. I have tried cleanups and defrags countless times. I have deleted games and unnecessary files. I have my power plan set at high performance rather than power saver. It still runs slower and slower and freezes up. I am at my end here.
        How does one go about switching to XP? Do I need to save my pictures and music files first? How much will this cost? (I ask because I have seen a lot of downloads that claim they can do "registry repairs" on Vista that supposedly fix everything, and they average about 35 dollars.) Will it make enough of a difference to be worth it? (Honesty stressed on that last question, please!) This is my first ever laptop and the first computer that I bought myself rather than a hand-me-down. I bought it with my inheritance from my father.
        I don't recall ever having any of these problems with Windows 95 or 98 but I never used XP so for all I know it's as bad as Vista. HELP!! And thank you.
    • Edited by dbrrhym Friday, October 31, 2008 4:01 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:56 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Home Server forum. You might want to ask your question in one of the Windows XP newsgroups.

That said, Microsoft doesn't generally provide a simple path to downgrade from one operating system to another. You will probably be best off if you simply do a clean installation of your operating system. You computer manufacturer probably supplied a recovery disk or disks to reset the computer back to the factory state. This is the simplest route.

If you have data you want to preserve, you should get an external USB disk of about the same size as the disk in your computer and copy that data to the external disk before you reset to factory condition, as the factory reset will completely wipe your disk drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:01 PM

All replies

• This is the Windows Home Server forum. You might want to ask your question in one of the Windows XP newsgroups.

That said, Microsoft doesn't generally provide a simple path to downgrade from one operating system to another. You will probably be best off if you simply do a clean installation of your operating system. You computer manufacturer probably supplied a recovery disk or disks to reset the computer back to the factory state. This is the simplest route.

If you have data you want to preserve, you should get an external USB disk of about the same size as the disk in your computer and copy that data to the external disk before you reset to factory condition, as the factory reset will completely wipe your disk drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Sadly, this is the closest thing to the "right" forum I could find. Sorry. Doubly sad, I have done a total back-to-new, use the disc, reboot or whatever it's called. No help. Nada. But thanks so much for answering even though I'm lost. LOL
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:04 PM