OneCare is missing a required update RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody help me with this? My OneCare just suddenly stop working.. showing an error "OneCare is missing a required update".. i don't know this problem... i try to fix by as required by system by clicking "HELP" button. Then system try to fix.. it gives me an action 1: reset the PC 2: reset the OneCare 3: Go online... All of this 3 option did not help.. It still showing the problem..

Please help me.... you can send me through my email address: rccadungog@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• You're not alone. Mine is doing the exact same thing. It started last night. I came here to see if there was a solution posted. I've done everything suggested by Microsoft except uninstall and reinstall OneCare. I'm hoping there's an easier solution.

Friday, September 5, 2008 10:32 AM
  • Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:23 PM
  • My WLOC status beacon also popped up red last night - cannot retrieve required update.  I rebooted several times since then and noted lots of downloading activity, but of course no information from the onecare control screen.  The problem resolved itself today when a new message appeared indicating that WLOC was updating itself.  The updating process was successful.  My comments are - I did not find any notices or info on the forum about impending updates, only references to the generic "How to fix WLOC Update Problems".  Any reason not to post this info, moderators?

The source of the confusion is obviously a lack of specific information in the warning system.  It is not clear to the average user that a software update is taking place.  It is not clear if WLOC needs to be tweaked, reloaded, or simply left alone.  I imagine that this confusion generates lots of unnecessary forum posts and customer assistance emails. 

-WhiteFox

Friday, September 5, 2008 2:53 PM
  • No problems in reporting that the problem resolved itself this morning for you. I don't know why it initially failed or why it didn't complete successfully last night, though. Are you on dial-up? I suspect that this was a large update, though if it turned red because the download was interrupted, I'm afraid that some old unwanted behavior has returned in that OneCare turns red if the download fails. It shouldn't, but should simply resume on a subsequent connection.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:12 PM
  • No, I'm not on dialup, but I only stay connected as long as I am using the internet.  No doubt, a download was interrupted, but that should not have triggered the big warning beacon.  As I said, there is no real information available other than the cryptic statement "Unable to retrieve necessary update".  Perhaps this confusion can be resolved in a future version.

WhiteFox

Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:29 AM
  • hi guys....i have a solution...download this file from Microsoft knoledge base "CaclsDeleteDB.exe" and run it....most of the time it will not work....so download "ultrasurf" and run it..keep it for an hours time and Onecare will automatically solve the problem....it really worked...once everything is done...right click on Ultrasurf and exit with all the IE windows...

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:47 PM