Licensing for Windows 7 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed Windows 7 Enterprise evaluation software on my home laptop. The evaluation period is now over. I don't want to use Enterprise at home so I was wondering if I were to but Professional or Ultimate could I use that license key to activate my evaluation copy of Enterprise or do I have to do a re-install?
    • Changed type Richard5807 Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:12 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:12 PM

Answers

• "Richard5807" wrote in message news:57eb2ef7-6491-4d52-900a-05edd88dd542...
    I downloaded and installed Windows 7 Enterprise evaluation software on my home laptop. The evaluation period is now over. I don't want to use Enterprise at home so I was wondering if I were to but Professional or Ultimate could I use that license key to activate my evaluation copy of Enterprise or do I have to do a re-install?

You have to do a clean install, whichever version of Win 7 you get (even, I believe, Enterprise) – as you were warned when you first downloaded the trial.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:03 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:22 PM
  • You will have to reinstall.  Product keys are edition specific.  Professional and Ultimate keys don't work with Enterprise, nor with each other, etc.  The same is true of upgrade keys with full license copies.

It states on the download page,

"Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don’t test Windows 7 on your primary home or business PC."

"After the 90-day Trial expires, if you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise, please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels."

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "Richard5807" wrote in message news:57eb2ef7-6491-4d52-900a-05edd88dd542...
    I downloaded and installed Windows 7 Enterprise evaluation software on my home laptop. The evaluation period is now over. I don't want to use Enterprise at home so I was wondering if I were to but Professional or Ultimate could I use that license key to activate my evaluation copy of Enterprise or do I have to do a re-install?

You have to do a clean install, whichever version of Win 7 you get (even, I believe, Enterprise) – as you were warned when you first downloaded the trial.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:22 PM
  • You will have to reinstall.  Product keys are edition specific.  Professional and Ultimate keys don't work with Enterprise, nor with each other, etc.  The same is true of upgrade keys with full license copies.

It states on the download page,

"Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don’t test Windows 7 on your primary home or business PC."

"After the 90-day Trial expires, if you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise, please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels."

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:28 PM
    Answerer