Restoring to replacement hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fully backed up laptop with a 60gb drive and want to change to a different drive that was in another laptop but is 120gb.

My questions are about the correct steps to restore the backed up system from the 60ggb drive onto the 120gb drive.

Here's what I think I need to do:
    1. Put 120 gb drive into laptop.
    2. Put restore CD into laptop CD drive
    3. Run restore software and choose the appropriate drive to back up.

Questions:
    1. When do I re-format this drive?
    2. Will I need to do anything to this drive before I pull it out of the old laptop?

I did a search on this but the comments were not directly related to this type of change.

Thanks

Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

• It does not look like anything is missing. I think you're on target.

1. I've done it myself, but I'm unsure of the reformat part. Can't remember if it gave me that option or not during the process....it's been a while. There are other ways to do that if it's not an option not on the restore CD...i.e. boot an OS disc and do a format then reboot without an actuall install. Then use the restore CD.
    2. I don't see that you would have to do anything to the old drive before pulling it out of the laptop...
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:41 AM

All replies

• It does not look like anything is missing. I think you're on target.

1. I've done it myself, but I'm unsure of the reformat part. Can't remember if it gave me that option or not during the process....it's been a while. There are other ways to do that if it's not an option not on the restore CD...i.e. boot an OS disc and do a format then reboot without an actuall install. Then use the restore CD.
    2. I don't see that you would have to do anything to the old drive before pulling it out of the laptop...
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:41 AM
  • I believe the restoration process will format the drive anyway.

I don't know if this helps, but the process does seem to work Smile

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2007/08/16/grow-your-partition-with-a-restore.aspx
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:19 AM
  • Thanks for the answers and advice. I found this step by step process that will make this easy.

http://www.whshelp.com/articles/WHS%20backup%20after%20hard%20drive%20fails.htm

Thanks again
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:50 AM
  •  steve_in_mass wrote:
    Thanks for the answers and advice. I found this step by step process that will make this easy.

http://www.whshelp.com/articles/WHS%20backup%20after%20hard%20drive%20fails.htm

Thanks again

Nice little "How To." Thanks for the link.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I've found that the restore process is painless and will format the drive as it goes. One one occasion however, it wouldn't start and discovered that the drive had a hidden partition, (ex Dell desktop,) plugged it into another computer and did a quick format to remove the hidden partition and there were no further problems. Don't know if it was the hidden partition that was confusing the reinstall software, or not, but after the quick format, removing the hidden partition, it proceeded to format and install just fine. 

Colin

Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Colin

If you look at the link I posted a few messages up, you will see there are directions on how to format the disk during the restore process.

Steve
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:21 PM