WHS and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently having issues with doing backups with Windows Home Server.

My setup is as follows:

C -> OS
    S -> Storage (Documents/pics/etc)
    V -> Movies
    X -> TV

The problem I am running into is when I am trying to do a backup using WHS of S, V, and X it tells me the volumes are locked.  I managed to find out that the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" (WMPNetworkSvc) is locking the drives.  When I disable this service the drives are not locked.  BUT, I cannot stream to the Xbox or other computers (as expected) but I can backup.  I am stuck between one or the other here?  Is this normal?  What can I do to alleviate this issue?

Edit: PC is windows 7 ultimate using media player 12
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:19 AM

Answers

• Formatting the disk fixed the problem somehow.  This thread can be closed.
    • Marked as answer by scott.st Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:22 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• I'm currently having issues with doing backups with Windows Home Server.

My setup is as follows:

C -> OS
    S -> Storage (Documents/pics/etc)
    V -> Movies
    X -> TV

The problem I am running into is when I am trying to do a backup using WHS of S, V, and X it tells me the volumes are locked.  I managed to find out that the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" (WMPNetworkSvc) is locking the drives.  When I disable this service the drives are not locked.  BUT, I cannot stream to the Xbox or other computers (as expected) but I can backup.  I am stuck between one or the other here?  Is this normal?  What can I do to alleviate this issue?

Edit: PC is windows 7 ultimate using media player 12
    Are you streaming any files when the backup starts?  If so, does the backup work if you're not streaming anything (but still have the service enabled)?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:51 AM
  • OK, it seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit.  I was using chkdsk to check if the volume was locked or not.  It appears that all my drives work fine except for one.  Curiously, it is marked as "active" in disk management.  I am not sure what this means or how to get it not active....
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:51 PM
  • OK, it seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit.  I was using chkdsk to check if the volume was locked or not.  It appears that all my drives work fine except for one.

I assume you mean one of the drives showed problems after running chkdsk?  Did you use chkdsk /r to try to repair?  (If you have a drive that's failing, you should replace it ASAP.)

Curiously, it is marked as "active" in disk management.  I am not sure what this means or how to get it not active....
    Is it the 20 GB OS partition on the primary drive?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Sorry, I should have been more clear.  The server is fine.  On the client PC, the V Drive was showing primary, active.  I managed to remove this thinking it was the issue but it did not correct the problem.   The real problem is that the V drive is coming up as locked whenever I try and run a backup.  Check disk runs fine and restarting does not help.  I may just copy off all the data and format it to see if that helps.  Unless you have another suggestion.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Formatting the disk fixed the problem somehow.  This thread can be closed.
    • Marked as answer by scott.st Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:22 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:22 PM