Unable to register my Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS about 2 weeks ago and it has been running fine.  The copy I installed was from the WHS web site and it is not a beta, in fact it came with the PP1.

Now I want to register it and I have a WHS I bought from NewEgg (the OEM version it is called) and when I enter the Product code it says it is incorrect. I tried to go to the link that was displayed with the message which said that if there is a problem with the registration code go to this link but the link is no longer a valid link.

I also tried to activate the software over the phone but after giving the "operator" the ID info that was generated, the recording said it was not valid either.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:55 AM

Answers

• jmw45 said:

I installed WHS about 2 weeks ago and it has been running fine.  The copy I installed was from the WHS web site and it is not a beta, in fact it came with the PP1.

Now I want to register it and I have a WHS I bought from NewEgg (the OEM version it is called) and when I enter the Product code it says it is incorrect. I tried to go to the link that was displayed with the message which said that if there is a problem with the registration code go to this link but the link is no longer a valid link.

I also tried to activate the software over the phone but after giving the "operator" the ID info that was generated, the recording said it was not valid either.

The build from Connect is not beta but is an evaluation copy and does not use the same PID as the full OEM version you received from Newegg.  You will need to do a server reinstallation to upgrade to the full version.

There's an FAQ on We Got Served that explains how to do this:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/02/06/faq-how-to-upgrade-from-a-trial-or-beta-version-of-windows-home-server/

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:41 AM
  • jmw45 said:

I installed WHS about 2 weeks ago and it has been running fine.  The copy I installed was from the WHS web site and it is not a beta, in fact it came with the PP1.

You cannot register the 120 day eval version with a key from OEM.  You must reinstall WHS using the OEM DVD, then use the code that came with the OEM DVD.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:42 AM

All replies

• jmw45 said:

The build from Connect is not beta but is an evaluation copy and does not use the same PID as the full OEM version you received from Newegg.  You will need to do a server reinstallation to upgrade to the full version.

There's an FAQ on We Got Served that explains how to do this:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/02/06/faq-how-to-upgrade-from-a-trial-or-beta-version-of-windows-home-server/

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:41 AM
  • jmw45 said:

You cannot register the 120 day eval version with a key from OEM.  You must reinstall WHS using the OEM DVD, then use the code that came with the OEM DVD.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:42 AM
  • We even have a FAQ post here. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I did have to do a reinstall and although it was an inconvenience, it wasn't a big pain and so now everything is working as it should.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:13 PM