Can't get my free trial. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Please activate my trial period. This is my first tiem running the program. I have multiply PCs on my network and even multiple users on this compe, so maybe that is teh confusion? Please help, thanks.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• There is no trial period "activation." You simply install OneCare without subscribing from http://onecare.live.com

If it reports that your trial period has expired and requires you to activate/subscribe, you have an incorrect date and time on the PC or the trial was previously installed, although that means you will get 15 days before you need to subscribe.

Multiple PCs on the network will have no bearing on the trial.

Multiple users may mean that each user will get a prompt about OneCare configuration upon initial login after installation, and limited users may be unable to perform the configuration, but I don't believe that is your issue.

What is the state of OneCare on your PC?

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:43 PM

All replies

• There is no trial period "activation." You simply install OneCare without subscribing from http://onecare.live.com

If it reports that your trial period has expired and requires you to activate/subscribe, you have an incorrect date and time on the PC or the trial was previously installed, although that means you will get 15 days before you need to subscribe.

Multiple PCs on the network will have no bearing on the trial.

Multiple users may mean that each user will get a prompt about OneCare configuration upon initial login after installation, and limited users may be unable to perform the configuration, but I don't believe that is your issue.

What is the state of OneCare on your PC?

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Please help--free trial is held up on the purcahse page and I can not authorize any payments. Please provide us the key or help to pass this by. I hae read the infooabout -without subscribing, etc.. the install is in process of scanning and all . Have had days and days of trouble ever since a bogus windows anti virus 200 came through spyware shop.. Pleae helpp $$$ is still tied up in CC account becausee of these problems... Why is it so difficult to get the free trial if we are trustiing you to take our CCC info to be billed later. Why is it so difficult??? Why is thre no telephone support???

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:54 PM
  • I quote this posting.. it is becoming so difficult to get proper protections and it is not fair that the trial period is such a hassle. Please help and provide phone numbers..

Monday, July 28, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Drucilla, I'm sorry to read that you are having problems with OneCare, but I'm not clear what the actual problem is. What is your current status with OneCare? If you have gone through the purchase, by providing payment information, you have a subscription and not the trial.

Support can be reached per the information here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Theinstall is in process of the scanning aalmost 90% done.. but when trying to 'activate" at the subscrption and billing page-after aall that was completed... i had to back out from the actual payment"charge" cause I do not have enough anywhere right now...in any CC or DC to make a payment??????WHY?? should we have to make a payment for a free trial period? Soooo, i do not know the status of the ""account"''. I hope this will remove teh identified problems that started days ago.

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:18 PM
  • If you have installed Windows Live OneCare from http://onecare.live.com there is no payment information required in order to use the trial. In fact, if you do pay, the trial period ends immediately.

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I have read you saying this several times in the threads,,installed from ..onecar.live.com---I installed from the link that was provided for the Free 90 day trial period of LiveOneCare... Is that different?? I know that it was going to require my CC info to make the purchase.. any way,, the tuneup is in progress and so we are patiently waiting the results.. Have you seen the new commercial on TV about the 'being on hold' and such resulting from malicious software...  who are the real culprits of these things? Of course the ad promotes a program to remove and protect from these things-, but the timing is uncannily related to the recent flurry of people getting hit by the apyware shops and anti apyware-teh bogus winAV 08. So now we have commercials and all on tv to flood us with countless packges of Tools, programs, etc..

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:07 PM
  • As long as you installed OneCare as a free trial, it is the same download and it will not require payment information for 90 days, though it will nag you on occasion as that date approaches to try to get you to subscribe. It will expire at 90 days.

I haven't see the TV ad you are referring to, but malware is all too real. It is distributed by people who have a profit motive, have malicious intent, and/or people who simply want to prove that they can distribute malware.

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:34 PM
  • I beleive all is Well, enough-OK for now, at least working better, I can breath better, -except that the desk top items remain like 'higlighted'- in dark - each one of them, this started with the first attack from the spyware.   After the LiveOneCare finished intall and things were cleaned up I do see a window that says  when the free trial will expire (79 days & counting) and the reminders to subscribe soon. Those screens can be very confusing..but you were right.

It (PC) seems well enough to accomplish most tasks that are VIP - BUT - There is still an issue remaing about Photo Gallery-it tries to install but can't find what it needs, I keep clicking cancel about 2x's through till it will stop.. Are you able to help me?? How do I get it from the registry???I think it's there, right?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks for being able to take alll of the stress & flak that you techs have to absorb from -----US, all of us.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:52 PM
  • I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding Desktop Themes or Photo Gallery. If you need to change the appearance of the desktop items, right click your desktop, select properties and navigate the options to change colors, themes, wallpaper, icons, etc.

If you are also trying to install the Windows Live Suite and Windows Live Photo Gallery isn't installing properly, that wouldn't be a OneCare issue, nor do you need to install it. If you want to troubleshoot problems with installing it, http://support.live.com, select Windows Live Photo Installer from the list.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:00 PM