WHS reinstall failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have got myself into the situation where reintsall fails with the result I have no option but to rebuild the server. I don't want to go into the reasons why but suffice to say I think the system is stuffed.

I have a LOT of data and wondered if it is possible to not connect the disks at the new reinstall (ie. physically disconnect all disks) , connect the disks as 'removed', and then copy the data from the 'removed' disks one by one onto the new install. As each disk is copied I can then add it to the pool.

What is the format of the data on the disks - will I be able to recognise any directory structure

Also, I had 'duplicated' all directories so presumably there will be two copies of every file.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    the answer to all your questions you should find in this FAQ.
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Olaf, many thanks for your help.

I have since rebuilt my WHS server and now in the porcess of restoring the disks. Since my directories had been duplicated then using standard WHS copy meant I was over writing all files once.

I then tried 'shift N' to force copy to not copy duplicates. This only worked to the first directory level and could not be relied on. Note also that with standard copy I was getting typically 30MB/sec transfer speed.

I have since installed Robocopy from the 2003 toolkit. The GUI starts OK and then says 'copy finished' immediately on exit. However, Robocopy still runs in the background as a process and as default only copies those files that are not already present. Also, it runs at 90+ MB/sec so is 3x as fast as the standard copy.

I have used Robocopy input directory <disk>:\DE\Shares\Videos;
    output directory <disk>:\Shares\Videos
    parameter /E

I have also switched off all folder duplicates during the copy and will reset on completion.
    The copy is monitored in the Disk management plug in 

Hopefully I have finished all my hardware upgrades and will now have years of WHS enabled peace and enjoyment; it has been a busy weekend !!!
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:34 AM
  • TripleFun said:

Olaf, many thanks for your help.

I have since rebuilt my WHS server and now in the porcess of restoring the disks. Since my directories had been duplicated then using standard WHS copy meant I was over writing all files once.

I then tried 'shift N' to force copy to not copy duplicates. This only worked to the first directory level and could not be relied on. Note also that with standard copy I was getting typically 30MB/sec transfer speed.

I have since installed Robocopy from the 2003 toolkit. The GUI starts OK and then says 'copy finished' immediately on exit. However, Robocopy still runs in the background as a process and as default only copies those files that are not already present. Also, it runs at 90+ MB/sec so is 3x as fast as the standard copy.

I have used Robocopy input directory <disk>:\DE\Shares\Videos;
    output directory <disk>:\Shares\Videos
    parameter /E

FYI, you should never copy anything to D:\shares.  You should always use \\server\videos (or whatever share you're copying to).

TripleFun said:

I have also switched off all folder duplicates during the copy and will reset on completion.
    The copy is monitored in the Disk management plug in 

Hopefully I have finished all my hardware upgrades and will now have years of WHS enabled peace and enjoyment; it has been a busy weekend !!!

Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:41 AM