OEM Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I was thinking about buying a copy of Vista Home premium OEM, and I was wondering if changing the motherboard was the only way to end the OEM license. Or if you do a lot of minor things like changing ram and processor multiple times that would end the license. Also I was wondering if you can reinstall vista if you are using the same motherboard that you first used. Finally I was wondering if I can download SP1 for free or if it cost something. The version with SP1 on it cost 5 dollars more than the one without at the online store.

Thanks

Sunday, June 22, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Dustin S.

No, the only hardware related change that would end the OEM License is Changing the Motherboard. There may be other situations that could cause the License to end (maybe like sharing your Product Key out on the internet and such) but I am not as well versed in that area of licensing... I think it would suffice to say that if you think you might be breaking the License...you probably are. The best was to know for sure, however, is to read the Licensing Agreement that is displayed while installing Windows.

As for SP1, yes, you can download SP1 for free at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en Or you can wait untill it becomes available thru Windows Updates...but either way, it's free.  The only time it would cost you to get SP1 from Microsoft is if you wanted it on CD/DVD and Microsoft should only charge you for shipping. (I am not sure if SP1 is yet available on CD/DVD, but should be at some point).

Thanks for the good questions,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Dustin S.

No, the only hardware related change that would end the OEM License is Changing the Motherboard. There may be other situations that could cause the License to end (maybe like sharing your Product Key out on the internet and such) but I am not as well versed in that area of licensing... I think it would suffice to say that if you think you might be breaking the License...you probably are. The best was to know for sure, however, is to read the Licensing Agreement that is displayed while installing Windows.

As for SP1, yes, you can download SP1 for free at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en Or you can wait untill it becomes available thru Windows Updates...but either way, it's free.  The only time it would cost you to get SP1 from Microsoft is if you wanted it on CD/DVD and Microsoft should only charge you for shipping. (I am not sure if SP1 is yet available on CD/DVD, but should be at some point).

Thanks for the good questions,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Can you reinstall vista on the same computer, like if my computer is running slow and I want to reinstall to get better speed
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Yes, reinstall as many times as you wish, as long as it's on the same computer.

You will, of course, need to Reactivate after each re-install and will, as some point, only be able to Reactivate by Phone.

Darin

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:08 PM