Is something fishy going on? RRS feed

• Question

• After much fiddling, I managed to get Home Server installed. The combination of an old DVD drive and a Dell 8400 didn't really lend itself to a painless install.

But it's on, and it's in. Last night it ran its first backup, and I'm slightly mystified by the results.

The backup, according to the Home Server console, is taking up 30gb of space. I've read the post in the FAQ forum about the "magic" of the backup process, but even so - I've got 250gb of data on my machine. 250gb to 30gb seems a little too amazing.

Also, because of the enormous amount of data on the workstation, I excluded a number of folders. If I view the backup image, I can see every file, regardless of exclusions. So the data size suggests they've been excluded, but viewing the backup suggests they are there.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there some way I can have a good look at what's going on?

Cheers.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:00 PM

Answers

• The Release Documentation has a bit about this in the Post-Installation section.

Under Computers & Backup it reads:

"If you exclude folders from a backup, they still appear in the backup file when you open it to restore files.

Caution

Do not restore any files from a folder that you excluded from a backup. These files will contain bad data.

This is a known issue and is being investigated."

This sounds like what you're experiencing?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:53 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:29 PM
  • You can also log on to the Home Server Console then go to "Computers & Backup" -> Double click on the computer you suspect is not backing up -> Select a backup then towards the bottom of the window select "Open" -> Browse and verify your data that has been backed up.

I personally suspect that it may not have backed up a second partition or hard drive.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:43 PM
  • What happens if you try to restore a file from the excluded folders(s)

What size did you expect the backup to be taking into account your exclusions?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Thanks Tom - that's the article I mentioned having read regarding the "magic".

If the exclusions have been taken into account, then I'd buy the backup size that's being reported.

When I use the Console to view the backups though - which creates a shortcut in a My Backups folder on the desktop - every file is present.

Here's the scenario: I've got two drives in my workstation machine. C has all the OS and installed apps on it, D has all my photos, downloaded, and iTunes music.

For the sake of the first backup, and in order to not eat into the limited space I currently have on the Home Server machine - new drive coming soon - I opted to only backup my photos from the D drive, and to do the whole of C.

If I view the backup, every folder from my D drive is present, and I've been able to copy the file out of the backup and onto my local filesystem. I even renamed the original folder on D to see if it was referencing the existing filesystem. It still worked.

So it appears to be working, albeit having ignored the exclusion rules. If it hasn't excluded anything, then it's managed to cram 265gb in 30gb during the backup - which is pretty incredible; hence the reason I suspect that something isn't quite right.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Just making sure - so you added every folder except the Photos folder under D:\ from your client machine one by one? ( I am asking again since the UI does exclusion of folders and not inclusions)

If that is the case, we need to look at it. Could you please file a connect bug with output zip of TalQ.exe from both server and workstation attached?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Yeah, I added everything but the photos folder. I've voted on the "exclusion dialog isn't intuitive" feedback item.

I'll get a bug filed now.

Edit: I've raised bug 259441 with 2 TALQ logs attached.

I noticed that the pagefile and hibernation file are included, which shouldn't happen either.

Cheers.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Thank you for reporting this issue. Looks like a bug indeed.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:50 PM
  • The Release Documentation has a bit about this in the Post-Installation section.

Under Computers & Backup it reads:

"If you exclude folders from a backup, they still appear in the backup file when you open it to restore files.

Caution

Do not restore any files from a folder that you excluded from a backup. These files will contain bad data.

This is a known issue and is being investigated."

This sounds like what you're experiencing?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:53 PM
  • It does indeed! Well spotted; I missed that bit for some reason. I did read the doc, honest!

I just tried to open one of the text and doc files that had been included, but excluded - if you see what I mean - and it's a big empty file. So they're not actually being backed up.

It's a little off-putting though ;)

I guess the bug stays open? I've included a link to this thread anyway.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:32 PM