OneCare support stinks! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

My computer was stolen. Everyday I see that it has contact with Microsoft OneCare. The computer is still part of my circle. I can see the status of the stolen computer. I can see when the firewall has been turned off and when it is back on. I can see all the information, you might expect if the computer had not been stolen, My OneCare page shows the last contact it had with my stolen computer, and it has contact everyday. Yet, microsoft onecare support denies that it can get the ip address from that computer. I say----------BULL****!
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:34 PM

All replies

• NanceT, OneCare support is unable to provide this to you and may not know that it is possible. I'm sorry to read that your PC was stolen. If you have reported this to the police, the police can request this information from Microsoft, not you.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you who law enforcement should contact, but they might start with Microsoft Corporate if they don't already have contact information for this purpose.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:44 PM
  • I have called... Microsoft Corp.support, Microsoft OneCare support, and even Microsoft OneCare Billing- they all say there is nothing they can do to retrieve the IP address of the stolen computer that OneCare has contact with everyday! It doesn't matter if I call or the police call, they say that they don't have a way to save and retrieve that information.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:47 PM
  • NanceT, the information *is* available to law enforcement. You and I both know that OneCare is communicating with the servers and that this data is available on the servers. Support does not have access to this data on the servers, but the request will make its way to the developers, who do.

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Who can the police contact?

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Just to update this thread, NanceT and I have been in contact via email.

-steve

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Steve...  I'm in the same boat as NanceT... Can you please contact me with the same info, or post here please.

Thank you.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Basically, the answer is that Law Enforcement calls Microsoft at a number known to them, which is specifically for Law Enforcement Agencies. Microsoft provides instructions to them on what is needed in order to obtain the information. So, the theft needs to be under investigation with Law Enforcement.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:07 PM
  • My local law enforcement agency who is investigating my home break-in did not tell me they have a Microsoft phone number that is unique to them.  I am going back down to the station in the morning to get the detective to tell me to my face that they cannot contact Microsoft.

It is absolute lunacy for me to be able to see every time someone turns off my stolen $1,900 laptop in OneCare, but yet Microsoft supposedly isn't able to track the IP address.  I owned e-commerce websites for over 8 years and had the IP address of every customer who entered my website.

Maybe Microsoft will assist law enforcement, but just doesn't want the reputation for providing Lojack-like services for free to everyone.  But my police precinct doesn't want to be bothered with contacting Microsoft anyway -- that's the trouble I'm having.

Stephen, are you SURE that ALL U.S. law enforcement agencies have a phone number to contact Microsoft?  Thanks.

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:06 AM
  • What I posted here was what I was told when attempting to assist someone else with the problem of a stolen laptop appearing in their Circle. There have since been several other posts of the same situation and in each case I've provided the same answer. I don't know the outcome of any of the cases, unfortunately.
    Technically, the data should be logged and available. How difficult it is to retrieve and how useful it would prove to be for recovery of a stolen PC and prosecute the theif or person found to be using the stolen laptop, I don't know.
    The pessimist in me draws on my own experience with the theft of my car from a parking lot years ago. The only reason it was recovered was because it had been stripped and abandoned. I was contacted a week after it had been found, despite the fact that the plates were still on the car and it was found in the same preceint where I had reported it stolen. That said, I hope that you are successful in getting the police and Microsoft to help. I know how much it sucks to have someone steal your stuff.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Thanks, Steve.  I think I sent you an email earlier with an update.  The detective spent nearly an hour on the phone when he called Microsoft Corporate.  He said he spoke to someone in India, and after several transfers, he finally reached Microsoft's Security Department -- but could only leave a voicemail.  He left both his contact number as well as mine, but no one returned his call as of yet.  Maybe something will happen on Monday.

One thing is for certain -- I doubt I could get that detective to phone Microsoft again after he haggled with foreigners for an hour today....can't say that I blame him.  It's a shame though....I'm not the only one this thief is stealing from and he has no prior record -- he's got everyone fooled.  I've replaced my laptop (new one will be delivered on 12/09/09).....it's the principle of the matter at this point. 

Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I also had the police call. Microsoft said it was a privacy issue. BULL --- how can it be a privacy issue to send the ip address to the police, or the email Microsoft Onecare has on file.
    I am willing to PAY for the techs time, but microsoft will not reply to me or the police.
    Onecare doesn't care

This is from FIPPA
    ------------------------------------------------

The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) is independent from government and monitors and enforces British Columbia's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA).

Access to personal information
    On request, provide an individual with information about the existence, use and disclosure of the individual’s personal information and provide access to that information unless PIPA excuses you from giving access in whole or in part. On request, and where satisfied on reasonable grounds, correct information that is inaccurate or incomplete.  You may charge a minimal fee for responding to a  request, but the fee should not be a barrier to access.

Resolution of Complaints 
    If someone complains about your organization’s management of personal information, attempt to resolve the complaint in good faith and quickly.

------------------------------------------------

Maybe I should find a lawyer

• Edited by MCSRick Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:06 AM update
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Any progress on finding resoultion? I had my system ripped off but am reading into these posts that MS is not standing behind their honest customers.... Has anyone who filled a police report actually had MS help out?

Anyone?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Any progress on finding resoultion? I had my system ripped off but am reading into these posts that MS is not standing behind their honest customers.... Has anyone who filled a police report actually had MS help out?

Anyone?

Sadly, I have not had any reports that any of these cases had a successful resolution.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:31 PM