KB979453: accidentally released my WHS domain and can't get it back RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After having installed KB979453, I was asked to reconfigure my WHS domain name.

In one of the dialog windows, I was presented with the following confusing options:

- release your current domain name

- choose a different domain name

As I certainly didn't want to change my domain name, I chose the first option which - as I realised afterwards - was the wrong choice.

When I now try to configure again my domain name (agds.homeserver.com) in the WHS console, it tells me that the "Domain name is not available". Also, when browsing to agds.homeserver.com, the website doens't exist anymore.

As far as I know, I use the same Live ID as I did at the time when I set up my WHS domain name originally.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:34 AM

All replies

• I did the same recently - after releasing I could gain my domain back: after selecting to register a new domain and using the associated Live ID it was already offered.

So the process itself seems to work, even if the methodology is a bit strange. So it may be, that you have not used the same Live ID, or there is something on Windows Live Custom Domain services not recognizing the association. Eventually you can contact Windows Live support regarding this matter.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply.

The problem may be that the Live ID with which I had set up the domain at the time of WHS installation had been purged because I didn't continue using the Live ID hotmail address.

I have created exactly the same Live ID ([My profile name here on the forum]@hotmail.com) again with the same password as I had used at the time of setting up the domain, but somehow the association seems broken because it still says that my domain (agds.homeserver.com) is not available.

I guess the only ones that can help me here are the Microsoft guys ...

How do I contact them? Just ask a question on the Windows Live Solution Center?

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Recreating a user account with the same user name does still not create the same ID, at least in the Windows world it is the SID, which matters. I would think it is the same for Hotmail.

How you can contact the appropriate team and if this can be resolved, depends from multiple factors - your location may matter as well as the fact, that this is a free service, which may only have a very limited support. And since you cannot show, that this was really your domain, the support staff may not even be allowed to do something. Eventually you can find a way via Live Solution Center, at least, if you can contact people there.

Maybe the easiest way to go would be to take a different domain name and try the old domain from time to time again - without warranty of succeeding.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:55 PM