Help, Last Step In Turning On Remote Access: Verifying That Your Remote Website Is Available From The Internet Gets A Red X RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've had my WHS/Acer Easystore H340 for 6 months now and I love it (it has already saved me when my desktop OS drive died - first drive to die on my in 20yrs of computing!) it's paired up with my D-Link DGL-4500 flawlessly and I had remote access for months. Around Christmas time I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and had to manually open up some ports on the D-Link router as the automatic UPnP configuration wasn't as reliable as it was under WinXP (don't know why it should matter) but it worked again. Now after some Internet connection troubles with our Bell ISP and having a technician come and install some filters on our house lines, I can't seem to re-establish the Remote Access out from our WHS. I get the dialog "Turn On Remote Access" and it goes through the three steps;

1. Verifying your remote web site locally... [check]

2. Configuring your router... [check]

3. Verifying that your remote Web site is available from the Internet [RED X]

Ah? what changed? I still get full internet access and access to my server via Remote Desktop and WHS Console.  Where should I start looking? Is this possibly related to some line filter at home they installed (I still get good internet connection) or some firewall issue or did my ISP block something? I'd hate to call my ISP until I know for sure its on their end as they always say they don't support any software, if I'm getting onto the internet, that's where their responsibilities end (if they ever help at all!). I'm also running Norton Internet Security, although I haven't made any changes to the firewall at all there (it worked before!) - I've even disabled the firewall to eliminate that as a possible cause.

I also followed the MS FAQ on Remote Access at: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/1bc7360e-b534-4d42-a314-5833b097fd31 and everything checks out. I also ran the MS Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool and everything there checks out too. I have no problems accessing the server from my internal home network.

Required Questions for Troubleshooting

1.       Which version of Windows Home Server are you running? This information can be found in the Settings area of the Windows Home Server Console.

WHS PP3

2.       What is the make/model of your router? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

D-LINK DGL-4500 (YES LATEST FIRMWARE AVAILABLE)

3.       Who is your Internet Service Provider? If you are using DSL, who is your provider and what is the make and model of your DSL modem?

BELL SYMAPTICO – SPEEDSTREAM 5200 DSL MODEM

4.       What is your external IP Address  as displayed in your router? (This is useful for determining if NAT issues exist)

How do I get my external IP Address?

5.       Can you connect to http://yourname.homeserver.com from:

a.       Inside your home  [YES]

b.      Your office or other workplace  [NO]

c.       An additional location (coffee shop, friend’s house)  [NO]

6.       What is the error message you receive when attempting to access your Remote Access website?

THIS PROGRAM CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE…

7.       When you do an nslookup or ping  yourname.homeserver.com, does it resolve to your actual external IP address? You can find this address in your router, or by using a website like http://whatismyipaddress.com from within your home network.

I’LL TRY IT TONIGHT

8.        Inside your homenetwork, can you successfully visit http://servername ? If not, what is the error message you receive?

YES

9.       Is UPnP enabled on your router? If not, please turn UPnP on and retry the Remote Access Configuration wizard.

YES

10.   Have you tried to manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 through to your Windows Home Server?

YES

11.   From a PC on your home network, can you successfully complete the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool without errors? If there are errors, what are they?

YES, NO ERRORS.

I don’t know what else to try?

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:33 PM

Answers

• Thank you very much for all the replies,

I got it working again, I'm not quite sure what happened though.  When it stopped working, I started to try all sorts of solutions opening up ports and DMZ and such on the router.  I finally got all confused with all the different solutions that I decided to completely reset/restore the router to factory configuration - letting it do its magic all via UPnP.  Of course in that process I also completely rebooted the modem, router and WHS.  In that reset, everything came back!

My guess is that initially the external IP got changed and WHS didn't have time to refresh and point to the new external IP.  Instead of me trying to reboot the WHS first (I usually leave it running 24/7 - and its been so reliable, rebooting doesn't usually come to mind with the WHS) for it refresh to the new IP - I panicked and tried out a whole bunch of internet FAQ solutions.  In the process of trying out all the various solutions, I must of mucked up my router settings or have had some number of conflicting solutions setup in the router simultaneously.

For the record, to any future readers, reboot and reset usually does wonders.  Speedstream 5200 on Sympatico ISP through a D-Link DGL-4500 connected to an Acer Easystore H340 Windows Home Server PP3 works fantastic.  (especially when the end-user doesn't muck about with the automatic settings at the first hint of trouble!)

p.s. - if I release my current domain name to reset Remote Access, can I get that name back again when I sign up, or is there a time period that I have to wait for it to become clear again (I'm quite attached to my WHS domain name).

• Marked as answer by wm_cheng Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• OK, I ran Shields Up and it indicates all ports as STEALTH (passed) - what does that mean? Does it mean that my 3 ports are not forwarded to my server?
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:28 AM
  • It could well be your external IP address has been changed. If this is causing your problem it should normally fix itself within a a day or so. You can also try and release, then reconfigure your domain name form the WHS Settings Menu, Remote Access Tab.

If your problem is not fixed, possibly the technician has changed on or more settings in your modem (possibly by installing the latest firmware on the modem). Based on your description it could be the modem may have been changed from bridged mode to routing mode. Could also be that originally your router was set as DMZin your moded. In both cases all inbound traffic (required for remote access) would be passed to the router.

If you know (or can find out) the original settings of your modem you may restore them. Alternatively you can set portforwarding in the modem, forward the appropriate ports to the external address of your router (should be somewhere in the router setup pages), then in your router settings menu check if the appropriate ports are forwarded from your router to your home server.

If you don't feel comfortable making these changes your best option is probably to call your ISP and ask them what settings may have been changed and how to revert

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I believe my external IP address changes everytime I reboot my modem (my ISP assigns me a new IP address).  So I have also tried power cycling the WHS so that it should re-establish the link to my current IP address.  The reboot hasn't solved the problem and I've haven't been able to gain access for a few days now.

What is the "Release your current domain name" option?  I can't seem to find documentation on that?

Nothing was done to the modem, the technician didn't even come close to the modem, he installed some filters where the phone line comes into the house.  The modem hasn't changed, in fact there is no setting that can be changed with it.  There is no router built in, just a dumb modem.  I believe I have forwarded the appropriate ports in the router to my static IP address which I assigned my WHS.  (but ShieldsUp reports all my ports as stealth, is this correct? shouldn't the 3 ports report as open?)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:55 AM
  • I believe my external IP address changes everytime I reboot my modem (my ISP assigns me a new IP address).  So I have also tried power cycling the WHS so that it should re-establish the link to my current IP address.  The reboot hasn't solved the problem and I've haven't been able to gain access for a few days now.

What is the "Release your current domain name" option?  I can't seem to find documentation on that? 

Just go through the Console and disable Remote Access completely, then enable it (and set it up) again.

Nothing was done to the modem, the technician didn't even come close to the modem, he installed some filters where the phone line comes into the house.  The modem hasn't changed, in fact there is no setting that can be changed with it.  There is no router built in, just a dumb modem.  I believe I have forwarded the appropriate ports in the router to my static IP address which I assigned my WHS.  (but ShieldsUp reports all my ports as stealth, is this correct? shouldn't the 3 ports report as open?)

2 of them should show up as open.  If you're sure you have the port forwarding set up correctly (and refresh your domain name by disabling and re-enabling Remote Access), you might contact your ISP and see if they changed something.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:35 AM
  • What is the "Release your current domain name" option?  I can't seem to find documentation on that?

WHS Settings menu, Remote Access, Configure Domain name. There you should find option to release current domain name.

There's no need for the technician to come close to the modem to upgrade the firmware or change settings, there's a fair chance they can even do this remotely. Also I think it's more then just a dumb modem based on the info on this page (that also contains info on port forwarding, unlocking and more tech stuff) Ports 80 and 443 should normally be reported open, at least if you are using default settings and you server is up and running.

• Unmarked as answer by wm_cheng Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Thank you very much for all the replies,

I got it working again, I'm not quite sure what happened though.  When it stopped working, I started to try all sorts of solutions opening up ports and DMZ and such on the router.  I finally got all confused with all the different solutions that I decided to completely reset/restore the router to factory configuration - letting it do its magic all via UPnP.  Of course in that process I also completely rebooted the modem, router and WHS.  In that reset, everything came back!

My guess is that initially the external IP got changed and WHS didn't have time to refresh and point to the new external IP.  Instead of me trying to reboot the WHS first (I usually leave it running 24/7 - and its been so reliable, rebooting doesn't usually come to mind with the WHS) for it refresh to the new IP - I panicked and tried out a whole bunch of internet FAQ solutions.  In the process of trying out all the various solutions, I must of mucked up my router settings or have had some number of conflicting solutions setup in the router simultaneously.

For the record, to any future readers, reboot and reset usually does wonders.  Speedstream 5200 on Sympatico ISP through a D-Link DGL-4500 connected to an Acer Easystore H340 Windows Home Server PP3 works fantastic.  (especially when the end-user doesn't muck about with the automatic settings at the first hint of trouble!)

p.s. - if I release my current domain name to reset Remote Access, can I get that name back again when I sign up, or is there a time period that I have to wait for it to become clear again (I'm quite attached to my WHS domain name).

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:14 PM