locked
Shared home calendar RRS feed

  • Question

  • In the spirit of bringing over suggestions from blog comments, a shared family calendar would be a great feature.

    A simple way for family members to notify each other of shared events.  It should integrate with outlook and the new Vista Calendar.  In the spirit of the web minded open to standards Microsoft, hell make it work with Google calendar too (and of course the Live Calendar).

    It would be a great feature and an easy value added feature to help convey to families why they need this device.  It's something that is easier for people to quantify in usefulness as they can relate to it.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:00 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Nice idea - especially if it's a side show gadget that displays it...
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:18 PM
  • You can install Sharepoint v3 on WHS and use the shared calendar features in that.  It's free!

     

    Kevin

    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:52 PM
  • I don't think it will really add much value to WHS since most web-based calendars already support calendar sharing.  Live Calendar, Google and Yahoo should all have their own SideShow gadgets.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hmmm.  Then I guess you could use the webgadget or create a gadget to connect it to the vista sidebar or a sideshow device...
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:57 PM
  •  Kevin Royalty wrote:

    You can install Sharepoint v3 on WHS and use the shared calendar features in that. It's free!

    Kevin



    Wait could you speak on this a bit more? Have you tried it and it works?  
    Monday, February 19, 2007 11:15 PM
  •  DarienA wrote:
    Kevin Royalty wrote:

    You can install Sharepoint v3 on WHS and use the shared calendar features in that. It's free!

    Kevin



    Wait could you speak on this a bit more? Have you tried it and it works?


    I've not done it myself, but I know someone that did, and it works (according to them).  Keep in mind that WHS does have IIS running (or the Remote Web Workplace wouldn't be there), and Sharepoint runs on IIS (among other things).

    Kevin
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Just a thought from a first time poster, who just got the product installed.  One thing to consider is who this product is being marketed too, and how easy (more streamlined) it can make their home.  If the product get's too complicated, it will turn many people off.  I think a calendar right out of the box, to all devices (windows mobile cell phones, vista and xp machines...heck, even your new ford car in the garage) will make people's live easier, and therefore sell more of these!!
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:45 AM
  •  John Cz wrote:
    I don't think it will really add much value to WHS since most web-based calendars already support calendar sharing.  Live Calendar, Google and Yahoo should all have their own SideShow gadgets.

     

    In the spirit of what this product is trying to be, I think it would be a nice addition to have a simple 'home' webpage that could include a calendar and more things like a simple notes area or address book.  Could be intergratted into a webpage http://server/homesite

    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:13 PM
  • I agree, out of the box a simple home calendar would be nice.  Also an address book and notes area also.  Can be a simple website on the server/  http://server/homearea
    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:15 PM
  •  Brothernod wrote:
    A simple way for family members to notify each other of shared events.  It should integrate with outlook and the new Vista Calendar.  In the spirit of the web minded open to standards Microsoft, hell make it work with Google calendar too (and of course the Live Calendar).

    Windows Calendar in Vista works with iCal, which as far as I know is the calendar 'standard', so that should be okay.

    Shouldn't it be possible to simply create an iCal calendar, put it in a shared folder, and then have everybody subscribe to that file in Windows Calendar?

    Monday, February 26, 2007 2:16 PM
  • What a great idea.

    An out of the box, calendaring app, accessible from the web frontend.

    Thumbs up from me.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Iv'e done this and it works very well on WHS

     

    Rex

    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:43 PM
  •  John Cz wrote:
    I don't think it will really add much value to WHS since most web-based calendars already support calendar sharing.  Live Calendar, Google and Yahoo should all have their own SideShow gadgets.

     

    I'm sure I am not the ony one who shuns any web-based application like this. I don't want my private, or not-so private calendar information stored on some remote server, no matter how secure it is supposed to be, or how obscure my calendar entries are. I'd enjoy a shared home calendar just fine  :-)

    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:55 PM
  • There is some feedback on Connect to publish calendars made with outlook or vista calendar. You should go vote if this was the kind of thing you were after.

    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=260734

    Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:08 PM
  •  MajinMarshman wrote:
    Just a thought from a first time poster, who just got the product installed.  One thing to consider is who this product is being marketed too, and how easy (more streamlined) it can make their home.  If the product get's too complicated, it will turn many people off.  I think a calendar right out of the box, to all devices (windows mobile cell phones, vista and xp machines...heck, even your new ford car in the garage) will make people's live easier, and therefore sell more of these!!

     

    People keep equating capability with complexity. Just because something is included doesn't mean that someone has to use it, keep the simple portion simple and have the more techie stuff as add-ons or something that technical people can use.

    My company bought an Adaptec File Saver NAS server, in my mind the worst pile of junk ever created. To keep a very long story short, Adaptec Support said they removed the technical stuff to make it easier for the "receptionists" who might be configuring it, my first thought, WOW, yer kidding right? (it would have been nice if CDW told us, but I digress) My second thought which I shared with the tech guy was the same as here, have the simple stuff there but leave it open to be usable for the more technical minded person, there is no reason why this product can't be used by both, fully.

    Or heck, why not make money from two different groups of people and make one that has more options for the more technically inclined... WHS is probably one of the best products to come from Microsoft, no reason why it shouldn't be able to kick butt for both groups.

    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Calender and phone book out of the box would be wonderful. A central repository for files, music, media, offering backups and family calenders and phone books would definatly fit in the idea of being a central repository for home/family information.

    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:21 PM
  • me too - i love it, it works great.  Do a bit of port forwarding from your router, get some dyndns going and you've got yourself a sweet setup!  Gotta love it - WHS ROCKS!

     

    My wife really likes being able to share the same calendar, I like being able to access the same contacts and calendar from my work Coutlook 2007 client or my tablet Outlook 2007 client or through the web, it rules!

    Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:56 AM
  •  BasP wrote:

     Brothernod wrote:
    A simple way for family members to notify each other of shared events.  It should integrate with outlook and the new Vista Calendar.  In the spirit of the web minded open to standards Microsoft, hell make it work with Google calendar too (and of course the Live Calendar).

    Windows Calendar in Vista works with iCal, which as far as I know is the calendar 'standard', so that should be okay.

    Shouldn't it be possible to simply create an iCal calendar, put it in a shared folder, and then have everybody subscribe to that file in Windows Calendar?

     

    Problem is, not every one of us is running "Vista" or uses Outlook, much less Outlook 2007.  If this is something that they do out of the box, they'll need to include a client for those of use who are happy with XP.  (Or even, dare I say it -- Win2K!)

    Monday, April 16, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  jkcarroll wrote:
     BasP wrote:

     Brothernod wrote:
    A simple way for family members to notify each other of shared events.  It should integrate with outlook and the new Vista Calendar.  In the spirit of the web minded open to standards Microsoft, hell make it work with Google calendar too (and of course the Live Calendar).

    Windows Calendar in Vista works with iCal, which as far as I know is the calendar 'standard', so that should be okay.

    Shouldn't it be possible to simply create an iCal calendar, put it in a shared folder, and then have everybody subscribe to that file in Windows Calendar?

     

    Problem is, not every one of us is running "Vista" or uses Outlook, much less Outlook 2007.  If this is something that they do out of the box, they'll need to include a client for those of use who are happy with XP.  (Or even, dare I say it -- Win2K!)

     

    It's still usable from the sharepoint website and that doesnt care whether you use Vista, win95 or you favorite flavor of Linux! all you need is a browser. How about a blackberry or any other wireless device with a browser?

     

    Rex

    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:43 PM
  •  Inzane wrote:
    I agree, out of the box a simple home calendar would be nice.  Also an address book and notes area also.  Can be a simple website on the server/  http://server/homearea
    Windows Sharepoint Services (aka WSS) is pretty easy to set up. It creates a basic "team" site that you can rename.  It also includes calendar, contact, and task modules that automatically sync with Outlook.  The picture and document libary features are nice too. 

     

    Anyone who has decided to run WHS betaware could probably set it up very quickly.  The one caveat I have is to pay attention during setup and use the Advanced option to relocate the database.  You don't want to use the default location; create a folder for it on the DATA volume and put it there.  That way you don't fill up the small SYS volume with your website content.


    It would definitely be better for all concerned though, if it were included as an option in the WHS console with its own tab -- maybe we'll get that as an add-in later.

    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:10 PM
  • If im not wrong, i need to install Sharepoint Office 2007 on my new WHS right?
    Friday, April 27, 2007 3:39 PM
  •  NukeDK wrote:
    If im not wrong, i need to install Sharepoint Office 2007 on my new WHS right?

     

    You can if you have it but you also have to buy it, most people here are referring to Windows Sharepoint Server (WSS) which is free to download from Microsoft. It does sync with Office 2007 products but MSO 2007 is not required for sharepoint calendars, tasks, or document sharing

     

    Rex Geissinger

    Friday, April 27, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I agree that this is a good Idea... Its important to remeber that a large amount of users are not going to understand how to use other programs. They will just install this and want everything.

    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:30 PM
  • So, I want to run my house where the family each sees their chores (task lists) and we can all see who is going where for the day (shared Calender) and when we want to look up Uncle Bob's phone number we can go to a central shared contact list (shared Contacts) all on Windows Sharepoint Server (WSS) and it is free and works with Outlook 07 and Windows Home server. There's my answer! I

    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:04 PM
  • True, except that the installation of Windows Sharepoint Services isn't entirely trivial on WHS. It can be done, but you'll have to have a good level of technical expertise to get it done in a way that won't have a negative impact on WHS itself. And (of course) it's an unsupported scenario.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:08 PM
    Moderator
  • Does anyone know of a "how to" that would be helpful on setting this up?  I can see this as a big positive for the family market.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Ken -- Could you post some guidance on setting WSS up with WHS?

     

    Thanks

     

    Monday, September 24, 2007 5:23 PM
  • This link below should get you going. After the create new site step and deleting the Sharepoint 80 site dont forget to restart the Windows Home server website.

     

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0daafc81-efff-4f5b-a28a-8265f1e99f5b&displaylang=en

     

     

    Rex Geissinger

     

    Monday, September 24, 2007 7:42 PM
  • My wish list. It should also be easy to:

    • create personal calendars for each user
    • import/export using a standardized format
    • synchronize with at least:
      • Windows Mobile
      • Outlook
      • Exchange Server
      • Windows Live
      • Google

    Kind regards,

     

    David van Leerdam

    Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:45 AM
  •  John Cz wrote:
    I don't think it will really add much value to WHS since most web-based calendars already support calendar sharing.  Live Calendar, Google and Yahoo should all have their own SideShow gadgets.

     

    The problem with all the online products is, that you have to trust quite a lot of complete strangers to do their jobs properly as well as resist the temptation to poke their noses into highly confidental and strictly private information. Call me nasty, but I don't. So to me it would mean a lot of value.

    Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Agreed 100%

     

    Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:36 PM
  • SharePoint!?  You've GOT to be kidding!

     

    SharePoint is NOT a home-user-friendly application, much less a SMB-friendly application.  If you want to share calendars, use Google Calendar!

     

    It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't make more out-of-the-box SOLUTIONS for this platform, to justify the expense of buying the WHS platform.

     

    We don't need WHS.  What we really need is a home-oriented thin client solution with certified aps that can be subscribed to and "installed" via the web.

     

    Network Magic (www.networkmagic.com) is FREE for basic home networking.  Couple it with a wireless router like the Linksys WRT350N that includes storage sharing, the Net2Go feature of Network Magic for remote access and a free / low-cost backup solution and you've got a simpler solution for $500+ less!

    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Can you elaborate?

    Steps on how to install

    How it integrates/interacts with WHS?

     

    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:59 PM
  •  

    Hi

    I think there is another good way to synchronize between your Google Calander with

    ur Outllok Calander that tool is "SyncMyCal"

    this is a very good software

    i think you should use this once visit to www.syncmycal.com

    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:09 AM
  • Here are the instructions for how to install Sharepoint WSS 3.0 on a home server, just follow the steps and you should have no problem

     

    http://homeserver.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/wss30_whsv1.pdf

     

    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Here are the instructions for installing Sharepoint WSS 3.0 on WHS

     

    http://homeserver.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/wss30_whsv1.pdf

     

    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Hi all

     

    this looks very easy :-)

     

    but how do i configure, that my Outlook (2007 and 2003) synch with Sharepoint

     

    Greez

    Oli

    Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:40 AM
  •  Oliaargau wrote:

    Hi all

     

    this looks very easy :-)

     

    but how do i configure, that my Outlook (2007 and 2003) synch with Sharepoint

     

    Greez

    Oli

     

    You can only sync to Outlook 2007

     

    • Calendar

    It's not very hard, Log onto your Share Point website and open Outlook 2007 on your PC. On the website, on the Left pane, click on "Calendar" under the List heading. In the upper left of the Calendar obove the date you will see the Actions tab. Open it and the first Choice will be "Connect to Outlook"

     

    The Outlook Window will appear and ask you if you want to connect, Choose Yes. You will now have a new Calendar in Outlook named "ServerName - Calendar" the new and original calendar will be displayed side by side. You will have to drag any existing appointments, Holidays ETC to your new Share Point Calendar.

     

    Once this is complete you can uncheck the box next to the original calendar in Outlooks left Pane and only the share Point calendar will be displayed. add new Appointments to the Share Point calendar and they will Immediately be Synced with SharePoint. Syncing is 2 way so anything added from the webpage will update with Outlook 2007 the next time you open it. My Wife does not use the Calendar In Outlook 2003 she just add's her Appointments into the Website and It Sync's with My Outlook Calendar.

     

    My Kid's dont have Write Permissions for the Website but they can View it

     

    • Tasks

    Keep in mind That you can also Connect the SharePoint "Tasks" to Outlook 2007's Task List in the same Way

     

    • Shared Documents

     

    This is Very Usefull. The 1st Document in my shared list is an emergency Contact List Fom the Free MS Word Template Gallery It Includes Childrens Doctors, Auto and Home Insurance Adjusters Auto Club and more. I also have an Extensive Home inventory using an Excel Spreadsheet that also came from a free template A shopping list ETC... All these can have permissions set to determine wether they can be viewed from the outside or not.

     

    • Thoughts on Outside Connections

    I dont have SharePoint set up to be directly Accessed from the Internet as it is personal Info that is only for immediate family members in the household. (The port is blocked in the router.) You Can still Access it from outside by using WHS to remotely log onto you PC and use the browser on that PC to log onto SharePoint using the UNC Path HTTP://ServerNameStick out tongueortNumber/

     

    • Photo Gallery

     

    There is a gallery Addin that others have used You Will Have to search the Post's here to find it.

     

    Have Fun, Sorry for being lon winded but I love SharePoint...

     

    Rex Geissinger

    Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:54 PM
  • ok, thanks

     

    but with Outlook 2007 i dont need a sharepiont server. I can do this through the internet !!

     

    Oli

     

    Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:34 PM
  •  Oliaargau wrote:

    ok, thanks

     

    but with Outlook 2007 i dont need a sharepiont server. I can do this through the internet !!

     

    Oli

     

     

    You dont have to have it but alot of the people here want to share the Calendar locally but not on the internet. It's whatever works best for you

     

    Rex Geissinger

    Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:10 PM
  • I think this is one of the most obvious uses for WHS that didn't make it into the product (yet). I'd love to have a calendar, address book and lists on my WHS, which could be accessed by all users, and available outside the home.

     

    Interestingly, Microsoft Research has something called LINC which is a calendar app for the family, and they've done extensive research on how families use calendars and the interface. They coined a phrase something like "glancable awareness". I would be suprised if we DIDN'T see something come from this group into WHS.

     

    Sharepoint seems overkill for this, and the setup is complicated, not to mention unsupported.

     

    The clients could be specialized for a regular PC, kitchen tablet, and a media center. It would need some kind of remote access, but not neccessarily a web client. Perhaps RSS could handle all this. Though, syncing with Live Calendar would be killer.

     

    Microsoft has something called Listas in the Labs that is just perfect for the lists part. Several years ago I was on a team for that exact web-based application for sharing lists among parents. (I think it was patented - I should check) A list could be dated or undated, so it was a calendar or a shopping list.

     

    I'm a software developer, and I'll bet if a few of use got together we could get this done as a great open-source add-in. If left to Microsoft, I'm afraid it would be tied to Outlook, or Vista Calendar. In the interests of scope, it would be good to split the lists and addresses into two add-ins. But, clients could consume both, and more from the Internet.

    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:44 PM

  • Here is what I've done, maybe this will help some others.  I installed the Windows Home Server Website Manager add-in.  Then created two web sites, one is my calendar which I add to the Remote Access site, "Tim's Calendar" and the second is Parenting calendar which I have on the Home Page, "Parenting Calendar". 

    On the WHS I created a folder "Calendars" two sub folders "Tim" and "Parenting".

    In Outlook I have two calendars one of course is my calendar and the other is a calendar with nothing but the schedule for the time my children are with each parent. I select my calendar then file/save as web page... I save it to \\homeserver\calendars\tim.  Then I select the parenting calendar and save it to \\homeserver\calendars\parenting.

    I gave the address to the server to my children and my ex wife so that they can pull up the parenting calendar whenever they want.  To view my calendar you have to login. 
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:07 PM