none
How can I browse forums by category? RRS feed

• Question

• I used to be able to browse forum postings by category.  I can't seem to figure out how to do that anymore...  Am I missing something?

Why on earth do we keep changing things here...  sigh.

Curt

Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:08 PM

Answers

• I also have been using browser bookmarks as David mentioned to store different "queries" or sets of forums.  It's very helpful as well.

Curt, here's the view I see when I click on the parent link.  Notice the forum list on the left that allows for select/deselect.

If the view somehow gets collapsed (perhaps by default?), it looks like this:

Notice the little arrow to expand.

Are you seeing this behavior?

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Curt, I'm still getting used to it as well.  For broswing by category, I typically click on the parent node (in this thread, it is the 'Using Forums forums' link).  This will open the thread view with all child nodes selected by default.  From there, you can toggle to add/remove from the list. 

I still prefer to add specific categories to "My forums" and use the quick access link for "My forums threads" to browse the topics I'm interested in.  From there, you can use the filters to show unanswered only, those with no comments, etc.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Another approach is to select a group of forums as described by Samuel Lester, and then create a browser bookmark/favorite to the URL that is generated.

This is much more flexible than using "My Forums Threads", because you can create different bookmarks for different groups of forums.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hey, Sam...  Thanks for the reply.  And pardon my thick skull for a moment or two...

>> From there, you can toggle to add/remove from the list. 

What do you mean by that?  When I click on the "Using Forums forums" link, I get a list of recent posts in this category.  I believe there used to be yet another parent link - one that would take me to a list of forums. 

I DO see a dropdown called Quick Access and it has a My Forums link.  That's cool - never saw that before.  But if I click on it, it says I don't have any forums and that I have to first visit a forum, then add it.  Well...  It's sort of a chicken or egg thing - is there no list of forums?

Curt

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:49 PM
  • I just tried 'My Forums Threads' a minute ago, but I'm only seeing threads in Using Forums forums, not SQL Server threads. I suppose that it's because some of my forums are in TechNet and some in MSDN. But this greatly diminishes the purpose of 'My Forum Threads'. I need to see all threads from all my forums - I have many SQL Server forums as part of my forums as well as some Using Forum forums and 2 forums in Russian.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:52 PM
  • I also have been using browser bookmarks as David mentioned to store different "queries" or sets of forums.  It's very helpful as well.

Curt, here's the view I see when I click on the parent link.  Notice the forum list on the left that allows for select/deselect.

If the view somehow gets collapsed (perhaps by default?), it looks like this:

Notice the little arrow to expand.

Are you seeing this behavior?

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Naomi, that's strange behavior and not what I'd expect.  I'm seeing the collection of all of my forums across SQL Server, VS, Windows Azure, etc. when I use the My Forums Threads quick access link.  

Update:  Thanks Doug for the explanation below.  Makes sense for my scenario.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:54 AM
  • One other tip, from the expanded view where the forum list is on the left pane, you can mouseover the forum name to get a popup where you can "Add to my forums", then have it appear in your "My Forums Threads" link.  

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:56 AM
  • @Naomi - Everything on a given Forums home page is scoped within a single site/brand (i.e., MSDN or TechNet or Microsoft).

The current implementation of My Forums Threads simply selects "your forums" on the main Forums home page of the site you are currently viewing.  If you are viewing MSDN, it will show you threads from the subset of "your forums" that are in the MSDN brand.  If some of "your forums" are TechNet or Microsoft brand forums, you won't see those in MSDN. If you switch to TechNet and choose My Forums Threads you will see only your TechNet forums threads.

The My Forums and My Forums Threads are different in that they are dedicated pages (i.e., not just special filters on the home page).  They allow mixing of Forums and threads (respectively) from across the 3 sites/brands.

My Forums Threads could be a dedicated page in the future, allow mixing of threads from across the 3 sites/brands, but it is not that way today.

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Yes, I hope this will be implemented rather soon. Because as I said, I have forums from different subsets (some from TechNet, some from MSDN and 2 Russian forums). I want to be able to see all my threads in these forums in one view and not remember to switch back and forth.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:46 PM
  • This Wiki article explains how to add forums to your "My Forums" list (and also for "My Forums Threads"):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18476.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-addremove-forums-from-my-forums-list.aspx

Also, on a main forum page (where threads are listed) you should see a "view all" link. If you don't see this, you need to click the small gray arrow in the upper left to expand the categories list. When you click "view all" you can search for forums. Those steps are also described in this Wiki article, documenting an alternative method to add forums to your "My Forums":

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8739.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-add-a-forum-to-my-forums.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Yep!  You nailed it, Sam.  It was collasped.  I can work with that.

A picture's worth a thousand words.  Thanks for putting that together.

Curt

Monday, August 5, 2013 3:10 PM