External "just phone number" contacts? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have used the free OcsCm tool to create contact groups & assign OCS users to those groups.

I would like to create & automatically populate user's contact list with useful just "external telephone number" contacts - such as supplier's helpdesk numbers / support numbers / etc...not just search for them in the GAL.

I know there is a 'work around' on the desktop - in which you add a new contact in Outlook, name it, populate the telephone number & IM address - and then you can search it in OC & drag it down to your OC contact list...

But this on a 'per user' basis...

Is there a way to add this kind of 'telephone number only' contact to a large number of users?  Some sort of server script or hack?

For Exchange - we used to create contacts in AD - and they would appear in the GAL in Outlook.  If I assign a phone number - those AD contacts can be searched in OC - but not added to the OC contact list (I assume because they are missing an IM address).

Maybe there's an easy way to do this & I've just not understanding it?  Advice welcome...

Regards

Paul

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:05 PM

Answers

•  

Thank you again - unfortunetly that does not cure the issue as that tool requires that the users you are trying to add be SIP enabled.

What I really needed was an Active Directory contacts to be added directly to the 'buddy list' in a user's desktop OC.  I needed to 'fool' OCS into thinking this user (contact) should be allowed in the local buddy list.

I found a work around.  It requires the use of ADSIEdit.  Here's how to do it...

-  Create a contact in Active Directory.  Give the contact a name / telephone number / e-mail address (I used a fake e-mail address - noone@nowhere.com.  I'm not 100% sure if you need the e-mail address but I put it in anyway).

- Using the ADSIEdit tool - find that contact, right click & select properites.

- In the attributes list - find 'msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress'.  Edit it and set it to some fake SIP address - I used sip:noone@nowhere.com

- Find the attribute 'proxyAddress'.  Add the following two lines:

sip:noone@nowhere.com

SMTP:noone@nowhere.com

- You can change the actually username@domainname to anything you want.  The use of captials at the start of the SMTP line is important.

IMPORTANT - do not change the attribute 'msRTCSIP-UserEnabled'.  It should be the default of 'not set' or null.

I then forced an update of the OCS address book (abserver.exe -syncnow), closed OC, deleted my GalCOntacts.db & open OC again.  I can now search the user - but now I can drag that user down & add them to my local buddy list.

I can then export my 'buddy list' at the server, modifiy what I need to & import it for others...

This workaround should not cause any issues for OCS or AD.

Sounds like a lot of work - but my users deal real time with the public face to face - usually trying to trace parts & services. Anything that reduces the time it takes to look up phone numbers & to then dial those numbers is welcome.  We have a large number of different suppliers - they can now call them faster with one click.

All credit to this blog post for showing me the way - 

http://blogs.technet.com/jitreddy/archive/2008/07/17/how-to-add-all-your-federated-contacts-to-your-ocs-address-book.aspx

To be fair - this is exactly what Jeff said a few posts ago - you need defined SIP addresses.  Once the contact has been changed in this way - I would expect you can then use the LCSAddContacts.wsf script to update other people's contact list (becasue the contact has a siip address).  I've not tried that yet...

Regards

Paul Adams

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:17 PM

All replies

• I don't believe you can configure the OC client to locate and store any clients without defined SIP addresses, as that is a core requirement.

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:40 PM
  • You have to make sure that you configure the contacts with a E.164 address

That is a full number with a plus in front of it : ex. +3227551511

If you can't do that then you need to change the phone number normalization TXT file with regular expressions to add the number and contact to the OCS Addressbook

Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt

The address book server takes care of this and if you do this right the the contacts will be added to the address book

And you can search them from the communicator and dial them directly

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:01 PM
  •  

Thanks for your comments - but I think there's been a misunderstanding...

I can add contacts to the OCS address book - & search for them & then dial them.

BUT - I would like to achieve is one click dialling of useful number for my users.  I would like to add these contacts to the local user's Office Communicator contact list - so they can just click them & it dials - no searching required.

I believe I cannot drag these contacts to the local contact list because they are missing IM details - and I cannot seem to add an IM address to an AD Contact  You CAN make this work if you add the contact to the local user's Outlook with an IM address.

Once I can do from the OCS address book - I can export that user's contact list settings - and import them to everyone else.

Paul

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:54 PM
  • You can download the OCS Resource Kit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9bf4f71-fb0b-4de9-962f-c56b70a8aecd&DisplayLang=en

And use the LCSAddContacts.wsf script

The Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Add Contacts script, LCSAddContacts.wsf, is a WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) script used to add contacts

You need to specify which users you want to modify and then which contacts you want to add to their contact list (and to which group optionally)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  

Thank you again - unfortunetly that does not cure the issue as that tool requires that the users you are trying to add be SIP enabled.

What I really needed was an Active Directory contacts to be added directly to the 'buddy list' in a user's desktop OC.  I needed to 'fool' OCS into thinking this user (contact) should be allowed in the local buddy list.

I found a work around.  It requires the use of ADSIEdit.  Here's how to do it...

-  Create a contact in Active Directory.  Give the contact a name / telephone number / e-mail address (I used a fake e-mail address - noone@nowhere.com.  I'm not 100% sure if you need the e-mail address but I put it in anyway).

- Using the ADSIEdit tool - find that contact, right click & select properites.

- In the attributes list - find 'msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress'.  Edit it and set it to some fake SIP address - I used sip:noone@nowhere.com

- Find the attribute 'proxyAddress'.  Add the following two lines:

sip:noone@nowhere.com

SMTP:noone@nowhere.com

- You can change the actually username@domainname to anything you want.  The use of captials at the start of the SMTP line is important.

IMPORTANT - do not change the attribute 'msRTCSIP-UserEnabled'.  It should be the default of 'not set' or null.

I then forced an update of the OCS address book (abserver.exe -syncnow), closed OC, deleted my GalCOntacts.db & open OC again.  I can now search the user - but now I can drag that user down & add them to my local buddy list.

I can then export my 'buddy list' at the server, modifiy what I need to & import it for others...

This workaround should not cause any issues for OCS or AD.

Sounds like a lot of work - but my users deal real time with the public face to face - usually trying to trace parts & services. Anything that reduces the time it takes to look up phone numbers & to then dial those numbers is welcome.  We have a large number of different suppliers - they can now call them faster with one click.

All credit to this blog post for showing me the way - 

http://blogs.technet.com/jitreddy/archive/2008/07/17/how-to-add-all-your-federated-contacts-to-your-ocs-address-book.aspx

To be fair - this is exactly what Jeff said a few posts ago - you need defined SIP addresses.  Once the contact has been changed in this way - I would expect you can then use the LCSAddContacts.wsf script to update other people's contact list (becasue the contact has a siip address).  I've not tried that yet...

Regards

Paul Adams

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:17 PM
  •  

Update - as you might expect - there is an easier way...

Create a custom web tab to be displayed in the OC client - the tab can show your useful external numbers.

One click calling can be done with a small workaround within the tab web page -.

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3652314&SiteID=57

Regards

Paul Adams

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:28 PM
  • You may use (OCSCM) Microsoft Office Communications Server Contact Manager.It's an administration mmc tool that will integrate with Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 and Active Directory to provide an easy way to provision OCS users’ contacts list.   OCSCM is designed to show you how to manage the contacts and groups for individual ocs users by interacting with the Active Directory Domain Services and Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007/R2 and lcs 2005.

download from http://www.ocscm.com
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:37 PM