Cannot Run Fix it Center on 2008 R2 (Domain Controller) RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to start Fix it Center for the first time I get "You must be an Administrator to run Fix it Center for the first time.  Please log on  as an Administrator to complete Fix it Center configuration.".

I am logged in as a domain administrator, and I also tried the 'run as administrator' option with the same result. 

Just as a note, UAC is disabled.

Windows 2008 R2 (Standard Edition) x64.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:24 AM

Answers

• Dear Fix it Center (Beta) Customer,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

The failure you encountered during setup using a domain administrator account is a known issue in our bug database. As a first beta release, the target audience of the application is home consumers. We will consider correcting the problem in future releases. As a workaround, you may add your domain administrator account directly as a member of the local Administartors group on the computer and re-attempt the Fix it Center (Beta) setup.

Thanks again for your patronage and feedbacks!

Best regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Fix it Center requires to run in elevated mode, and thus UAC needs to be enabled before it can be run.

Regards,

Agnes

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Fair enough. 

Seems broken to me though.    If I have UAC off, and I'm an Administrator it should be elevated.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Dear Fix it Center (Beta) Customer,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

The failure you encountered during setup using a domain administrator account is a known issue in our bug database. As a first beta release, the target audience of the application is home consumers. We will consider correcting the problem in future releases. As a workaround, you may add your domain administrator account directly as a member of the local Administartors group on the computer and re-attempt the Fix it Center (Beta) setup.

Thanks again for your patronage and feedbacks!

Best regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:36 PM
  • i'm curious what check was being performed.

Were they not using the IsUserAnAdmin() api call?

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:13 PM