mnyui.dll is missing or there is an error in the file RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MS Money for the best part of 20 years. My current version is UK MS Money 2003 Financial Suite Version 11.0. I prefer to use this to the "UK sunset edition" as it has a number of features not in the sunset edition. In the last <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="15" id="15">week</g> it has suddenly failed to start with the error message "mnyui.dll is missing or there is an error in the file". I can reinstall it from the original disk. It will run once but then fail again if I try to run it again later.  Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any ideas why it might be happening? Could it be a Windows 10 version 1703 upgrade issue (which by the way won't install on my Dell)?

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:23 AM

Answers

• I think the issue probably was interference from another program. I have done a clean reinstall of Windows (took the opportunity to install an SSD as well) and everything now seems fine.
    • Marked as answer by msmoneyuser Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:52 PM
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:52 PM

All replies

• The latest UK version is Money 2005 QFE2, available from the link in the second post in this forum.

If you can reinstall but subsequently find there is corruption, you have hardware or system problems.

The best place to resolve these would be the appropriate Dell forum. Depending on how old your Dell is, and assuming there are no hardware issues, a clean install of Windows 10 1703 might be the best option.

Note that there will be a new version of Windows 10 (1709) released on October 17th.

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:38 AM
  • This is not something I tried out. Somebody may have a better idea to try. Let us know what happens. Money 2005 may be your best thing. But this seems worth a try.

I would try this. Find a command window launch icon, right-click the icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator.

CD (change directory) to the directory/folder that contains mnyui.dll as part of the Money 2003 installation. If you want help in knowing where that file is, let us know.

enter the following command

regsvr32 mnyui.dll

Another thing that I would try is to launch Money by right-clicking the Money icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

Friday, September 22, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Tried this but I got the following error message: "The module "mnyui.dll" was loaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found". Sorry but this means nothing to me.
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Thanks. I have a copy of 2005QFE2.exe but i would prefer to try to stick with 2003 if I can.
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 2:02 PM
  • It means that mnyui.dll does not need such registration - it is not a dll that needs registration.

Something is corrupting mnyui.dll. This is not a problem with Money: it is caused by something else in your system.

There have recently been several reports of similar problems. Usually such problems result from a "memory leak" - programs writing to memory locations they should not have access to. Most often, a recent graphics driver update is the cause because graphics drivers use many system resources.

Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:58 PM
  • I think the issue probably was interference from another program. I have done a clean reinstall of Windows (took the opportunity to install an SSD as well) and everything now seems fine.
    • Marked as answer by msmoneyuser Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:52 PM
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:52 PM