OneCare help instructions confusing/incomplete...... RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to restore files I backed up using OneCare prior to to zapping my hard drive and re-configuring my computer and upgrading to Vista Ultimate.  I realize that the reinstalled OneCare program in my reconfigured computer does not recognize the older backup disc, i.e., it is now 'viewed' as if being from a totally different computer.

However, reading the 'How to' instructions in OneCare's help menu, a reference is made to a step a: 'Click Restore files from backup of another machine'.  I CANNOT LOCATE THIS STEP!

I get no further then 'Insert disc you wish to restore' and then a pop up window appears 'Insert another disc - the disc in the drive is not a Windows OneCare backup disc'.  I have marked the disc eaxch of four different, successive backups dating all the way back to March.  I know that it has OneCare backup files, thoughI am unable tyo autorun or explore the contents.  I am desperate.  What can I do to get my records back!?

ReBell

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:47 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare.

Click on "Restore Files" from the lower right of the main window.

Click on the second option, "Custom Restore."

The click on the second option again, "Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer."

Select the location of the backup from the list, which should be CD/DVD by default.

Insert your backup disk (the latest one made) and continue.

You mention that you cannot auturun the CD. Can you browse the CD in Windows Explorer? If so, there should be a OneCareRestore file (I don't recall what it is named...) on the disk. If you double-click that exe file, it should actually launch the restore wizard since you have OneCare installed.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• Open OneCare.

Click on "Restore Files" from the lower right of the main window.

Click on the second option, "Custom Restore."

The click on the second option again, "Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer."

Select the location of the backup from the list, which should be CD/DVD by default.

Insert your backup disk (the latest one made) and continue.

You mention that you cannot auturun the CD. Can you browse the CD in Windows Explorer? If so, there should be a OneCareRestore file (I don't recall what it is named...) on the disk. If you double-click that exe file, it should actually launch the restore wizard since you have OneCare installed.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:56 PM
  • I opened up OneCare and went to "Restore Files"  as both you had instructed and I have attempted several times befoe.  I simply directed to a point indicating that results in a window "The disc you have inserted contains no OneCare backup files (or whatever).  I never have the option to 'Custom Restore'.   And as indicated previously, I could not even Open or Explore the OneCare Bacup disc I had created.  I then notice the pop up kept indicating thta I should attempt another source (for my disc).

Well, plugged in an outboard Maddog DVD/DRW drive and all of a sudden, I CAN explore the disc.  For whatever reason, my new HP's DVD/RW drive simply would not recognized or read the backup.  I am now in the process of restoring all my files.  According the 'properties' folder, the disc contains over 67 MB of info.  I have at least gotten this far!

However, I have been unable to recover my Outlook files that contain all of my contact information developed over several years. At one juncture, while attempting to import .pst files from within the restore feature, I am denied access and cannot complete the import.  Any more suggestions?

ReBell

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:38 AM
  • I'm glad that you have gotten this far. It is interesting that the internal drive was unable to read the disc. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, could you clarify what you mean by "trying to import the .pst file from within the restore feature?"

As far as I know, the .pst file will be restored to your hard drive from the backup. If an Outlook.pst file of the same name has already been created under the User directory or if the restored PC is now using a different indentifier for the User, the restored files would be placed in a new location. To complete the restoration of the .pst file, you will either need to use Outlook and select to import the data from the restored .pst or you would need to rename the restore .pst to match exactly the name of the newly created .pst in use by Outlook. Then, after renaming, you would need to overwrite the new .pst file with the restored file and reopen Outlook. What process are you using and at what point are you getting the access denied message?

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:44 PM