Problem with CRM 2011 web front end cluster RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi.

    We have a CRM 2011 (RU17) environment with a SQL DB server and 2 web front end CRM server in a cluster.

    Since few days (about 10) it seems that one of the 2 nodes is not working, and since yesterday many users report access problems when calling the application by cluster name - as usual since we deployed CRM 1 year ago.

    I tried myself, and I can run the application by cluster name without problems. If it try the separate notes addresses, one of them works, the other doesn't.

    I checked the 2 web front end servers, and are (or seem) both properly configured, with all patches installed.

    Following the information I got from Event viewer. Any suggestion welcomed!

    Many thanks and Best regards


    On the 'faulty' server I have different errors at event viewer level:

    Faulting application name: Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.exe, version: 5.0.9690.4150, time stamp: 0x53559982
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1677
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d
    Faulting process id: 0x6f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf8f93aa9a7ff8
    Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Server\bin\Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: f5019a68-fb86-11e3-9f21-005056853970

    Application: Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.InitializeThreadProc(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

    The Sandbox Host service has encountered an unexpected error and has stopped.
     Source: Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.exe (1784)
     Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007203A): The server is not operational.

       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.Crm.SecurityUtils.GetSidFromAD(Guid objectGuid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.SandboxHost.SetPrivilegeUserGroupId(Guid privilegeUserGroupId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.HostService.InitializeThreadProc(Object stateInfo)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

    On the 'running' server event viewer I only have one error, related to mail router:

    #23379 - Could not verify the version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM at http://alkcg106.d30.intra:5555/AkzoNobelIndustrialCoatings. There was no endpoint listening at http://alkcg106:5555/AkzoNobelIndustrialCoatings/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:51 AM

All replies

  • Hi, did you resolve this problem.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:57 PM
  • Apologize for not having indicated here the resolotion I got thanks to MS support...

    We enabled the trace and we got a http error page stating maxQueryStringLength was insufficient. We changed the maxQueryStringLength and QueryString values in the CRM web.config value to 10240.

    We also noticed an error related to the DC being unavailable. We checked in the CRM registry hive and see in the non-working server you had a PreferredDc key pointing to “AMDNAD”. On pinging AMDNAD we see it is not reachable. We removed the PreferredDc key and after iisreset we can navigate to crm.

    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:12 AM