Replaced Router, now can't connect with console RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I replaced my router and now I can not access the Home Server through the console connector. I can still access it with remote login and by windows explorer. However when I click on My Network or try to access it through the console I get the message that the home server can not be found. I had static ips set up on the old router and I use those some ips on the new one, but I still can not connect. Even if I remove the static IPs.

Does anyone have any suggetions?

Monday, February 1, 2010 9:39 PM

Answers

• Did you already try to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client?
    If you altered the hosts file on the client, it would be time to revert.
    Also a reboot of the client may sometimes help to settle down name resolution issues after such change.
    It may also be the router, which delivers wrong config data - see FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:01 PM
  • Ok, I finally just do a server restore. I didn't lose any data but now I can't see the server in the Network places. I am able to pull up the console and I can type in the \\server and get to the data, but I would like to be able to see the icon when I click on Network from my desktop.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for all the help.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:29 AM

All replies

• Can you ping the server by name or IP?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Did you already try to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client?
    If you altered the hosts file on the client, it would be time to revert.
    Also a reboot of the client may sometimes help to settle down name resolution issues after such change.
    It may also be the router, which delivers wrong config data - see FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    Olaf
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:01 PM
  • I am able to ping it with both the IP and the Server Name.

I ran the discovery.exe and I get the error "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."

I did do a reboot of all my clients. I will read through the FAQ, in the mean time any other ideas?

Thank you for all the help
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:35 PM
  • I just pulled up the system configuration utility on the server and I see the the IIS Admin Service is stopped but it will not let me restart it. Could this be causing the problem and if so how can I get it started?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:19 AM
  • I just pulled up the system configuration utility on the server and I see the the IIS Admin Service is stopped but it will not let me restart it. Could this be causing the problem and if so how can I get it started?
    Perhaps.  Have you tried rebooting the server?  Have you checked the event logs on the server for details about the error?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Ok, I finally just do a server restore. I didn't lose any data but now I can't see the server in the Network places. I am able to pull up the console and I can type in the \\server and get to the data, but I would like to be able to see the icon when I click on Network from my desktop.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for all the help.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Set the workgroup name to match the workgroup the other PCs are in.

System Properties -> Computer name -> Change...

--
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Enable NetBIOS over TCP on clients and server (on the WINS tab in the advanced properties of the TCP/IP v4 settings in network properties). After doing so reboot both clients and server.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:54 PM