hard drive activity causes problems since PP3 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been running WHS quite happily for the last 18 months - it's hard to tell if it was the update that caused this, but since the automatic update, my WHS machine locks up & then reboots whenever there is even just a slight amount of hard drive activity. I tried a clean install a week ago & all was fine until yesterday ( I had left auto update ON) now I have the same problem - I can see my WHS machine on my network & the console icon is green. As soon as I even browse a shared folder - it disappears for about ten mins. When I go & actually look at the machine it is usually either locked up or rebooting.

The machine is home-built, based on a compaq workstation, with an IDE drive as the system drive & I have an additional SATA drive connected to a PCI-SATA card. This configuration had been extremely stable until a couple of weeks ago.

Monday, November 8, 2010 1:01 PM

All replies

• It's likely that you have one or more failing components in your server, possibly a hard drive, possibly a controller or other component. It may also be a network issue of some sort; what happens if you try to log in to the server desktop via remote desktop, or the console? Have you checked server event logs?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 1:36 PM
  • I'll try disconnecting it from the network tonight & looking at the event logs (am at work happily writing code at the moment). If all else fails I'll give it another clean install & switch off auto updates. If it stays up for a month I'll then start adding the updates manually at regular intervals.

It's almost as if the priority of the hard drive interface is too high.

The console & remote desktop gave the same results.

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Not much joy with the event logs - backup server had stopped running, but no other obvious problems. My main reason for using WHS is to stream movies to a Western Digital HD TV Live box, I think I may give up on this for a while & do battle trying to get the WD box to get a Win 7 Pro box to stream the media to it. I won't add any more, or I'm going to go seriously off-topic.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:04 AM
  • I would try scanning all drives. I did notice the same problem with the backup stopping last time one of my drives failed.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Well I finally got round to resurrecting my homeserver on Saturday. The PC I am using it on is a fairly old Compaq, with 512mb RAM, a 160GB IDE Hdd & a 450MB SATA HDD, using a PCI SATA card. Up until last November this was working fine & then it appeared to die after PP3 came along.

I replaced the 160 GB drive with a new one on Saturday & then set about installing WHS. Everything went well. After the installation I configured all my client PCs with the connector & backed one of them up. I even copied a couple of DVD images to the shared video folder - no problems. I then forced the update to PP2 & then PP3. Ten minutes later the machine died as I tried to browse the shared folders from another PC.

So I re-installed & disabled auto-update. Once installed I forced the update to PP2 only. I have run all my previous tests & the machine has been running for more than a day, backing up my PCs & happily storing my DVD images.

So where to now? Any updates with extra functionality are obviously, of interest, but I guess I'm stuck at PP2 as moving on further will lock my PC up.

If anyone has any ideas I am happy to experiment....

Monday, January 17, 2011 12:52 PM