Critical Alert states to turn on Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus program in this XP Pro Laptop (SP3) so I know that Defender is now an integral part of that program. That is why it's turned off intentionaly in Services and if you try to turn it on it goes right back off. So, why doesn't WHS 2011 know this because it gives me a critical alert telling me to turn it on and my Security Essentials program is on and green?!
    Igneous
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your suggestion John but removing Defender caused some new problems. WHS Alerts still showed Defender was not running. Also, a popup error message kept coming up where as I said ok to it would keep coming back:

Data Execution Prevention Generic Host

Process for WIN32 Services

To Help Protect your Computer, Windows has closed this program

Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services

The Microsoft Security Essentials notice you linked me to sounded like the answer but I remember reading a couple years ago that parts of the Defender program were still used in MSE even though the application is intentionaly stopped in Services. That is the reason it's not fully automatically removed from programs during the MSE setup, at least in XP.

So, what was my next step? I removed MSE, installed Avast, and re-installed Defender!....as Garry above suggested.

I now have a "Green Box" and no more Alerts.

Of course it didn't fix the MSE/Defender/WHS Alert in XP problem....it's still around giving someone else headaches.

I sent the Bug information to Microsoft Connect as Ken suggested.

Thanks everyone for your interest and help!

Igneous

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:00 PM

All replies

• One reason is that MSE is not supported on WHS 2011.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:49 PM
  • You are correct Garry! At least for now it's not....but apparently Defender by itself is. I like Essentials and have had it on my XP Laptop for some time. I don't recall it being a problem when I was backing up with WHS ver1.

Igneous

Oh, and I should mention that I DO NOT have Essentials on my Server, just my XP Laptop.!

Monday, August 15, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Ok, I see.

You might want to try Avast Free antivirus for your laptop. It will not disable your firewall or defender

and I've found it to play nicer with WHSv1 and WHS 2011. (not supported dirrectly on WHS 2011)

Unfortunatley Microsoft is not solely in the business of A/V.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I assume you've waited a significant amount of time, and tried clearing (deleting) the alert and then waiting a significant time? "Significant" in this case could be as little as a few minutes, or as much as a few hours.

It's possible that this is a reporting issue: Windows Home Server 2011 raises the alert because something that it thinks should be running isn't, but maybe MSE isn't correctly reporting that it's taken over the duties of Defender. I can't say for sure, as I don't have MSE installed on XP anywhere to check. :)

Whether it is a reporting issue or not, though, could you please bug it on Connect?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Yes as you can see it's been 10 hrs now and no change Ken. It's not hurting anything but it's not right, especially since they are all Microsoft products. I will let Connect know.

Thanks for your suggestion Garry, to use the free Avast. As a matter of fact I was using Avast on my 2 Win7 desktops and my XP Pro laptop when I was running WHS ver 1. When I upgraded to WHS 2011 I thought I would give MSE a try on my 3 computers and really like it. You know how these types of problems bug all of us right? It's one of the reasons we use these forums. Anyway thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

Igneous
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:47 AM
  • That is weird, I have MSE on 3 different pc's and server 2011 with no errors.  Defender is also turned off btw..
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Yes Enchanter but is one of those 3 PC's an XP Pro (SP3) ?

I only show an Alert on my XP, not on my 2 Win7's.

Igneous
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:22 AM
  • On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:49:41 +0000, Garry Joerger wrote:

One reason is that MSE is not supported on WHS 2011.

It is supported on the client systems which is where the OP has it
    installed.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Nice computers don't go down.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Thanks Paul for pointing that out although I think we

already clarified that in an earlier post.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:27 AM
  • I just went through the same process on my WHS 2011 and an XP system to find this page from MS

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

Which indicates that MSE should remove Defender when it installs, sometimes it doesn't but it's definitely not required with MSE. I uninstalled Defender and the problem went away.

Good Luck

JohnBrown

Halifax, NS

• Proposed as answer by Garry Joerger Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Igneous Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Good catch! I'm sure the OP will be grateful...
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion John but removing Defender caused some new problems. WHS Alerts still showed Defender was not running. Also, a popup error message kept coming up where as I said ok to it would keep coming back:

Data Execution Prevention Generic Host

Process for WIN32 Services

To Help Protect your Computer, Windows has closed this program

Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services

The Microsoft Security Essentials notice you linked me to sounded like the answer but I remember reading a couple years ago that parts of the Defender program were still used in MSE even though the application is intentionaly stopped in Services. That is the reason it's not fully automatically removed from programs during the MSE setup, at least in XP.

So, what was my next step? I removed MSE, installed Avast, and re-installed Defender!....as Garry above suggested.

I now have a "Green Box" and no more Alerts.

Of course it didn't fix the MSE/Defender/WHS Alert in XP problem....it's still around giving someone else headaches.

I sent the Bug information to Microsoft Connect as Ken suggested.

Thanks everyone for your interest and help!

Igneous

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:00 PM