none
Certification in a Recession RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Folks,

We're in a recession, IT spending is down, and we're being forced to do more with less.

I remember back in the good old days when the economy was booming, I would prepare for any new certification by purchasing numerous resources: the Microsoft Training Kit, the Microsoft Resource Kit, any useful third-party books, an Exam Cram type book, practice tests from both authorized providers, and my beloved CBT Nuggets.

However, with the economy in the toilet and IT budgets shredded, I've had to make do with much less. I've given up my beloved CBT Nuggets (too expensive), and I only buy one Training Kit per exam (usually the Microsoft kit). I buy ebooks discounted from O'reilly, and I buy my practice tests from MeasureUp or SelfTest when they're on sale.

I now spend more time on TechNet, which is free, although more time-consuming, and I'm stocking up on Second Shot vouchers with the 15% discount.

How has the economy been impacting your certification? What resources are you using now to save money? Do you know of any Microsoft discounts or specials? Please share. Thanks.

James

Monday, September 10, 2012 12:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Folks,

We're in a recession, IT spending is down, and we're being forced to do more with less.

I remember back in the good old days when the economy was booming, I would prepare for any new certification by purchasing numerous resources: the Microsoft Training Kit, the Microsoft Resource Kit, any useful third-party books, an Exam Cram type book, practice tests from both authorized providers, and my beloved CBT Nuggets.

However, with the economy in the toilet and IT budgets shredded, I've had to make do with much less. I've given up my beloved CBT Nuggets (too expensive), and I only buy one Training Kit per exam (usually the Microsoft kit). I buy ebooks discounted from O'reilly, and I buy my practice tests from MeasureUp or SelfTest when they're on sale.

I now spend more time on TechNet, which is free, although more time-consuming, and I'm stocking up on Second Shot vouchers with the 15% discount.

How has the economy been impacting your certification? What resources are you using now to save money? Do you know of any Microsoft discounts or specials? Please share. Thanks.

James

Where are you from as we're not in a recession in Australia :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi Mr. Wharty,

You folks in Australia are certainly lucky. Most of us in the US, Europe, and much of the rest of the world are really feeling it.

Don't worry though, according to the latest predictions recession is headed your way soon. See the following link, for example:

http://theconversation.edu.au/buckle-up-australia-recession-is-coming-7950

However, in the meantime I think I'll move to Australia :-)

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:52 AM
  • lol. People have been saying that for the last 2-3yrs yet our economy has actually gotten stronger with Australia receiving AAA ratings from the 3 worldwide rating agencies for the first time since the Australian currency was floated.  Given that we’re such a resource rich country, it’s unlikely we’ll go into recession any time soon. 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:18 AM