Trying to Publish - get "Microsoft Image Composite Editor has stopped working" RRS feed

• Question

• Generally impressed with this program, and hope it can become better! good job..

But this is about the 5th pano i've tried to "Publish" and programs shuts down with error:

(I've had about 4 other successful panos so far, and will keep trying with others).

"Microsoft Image Composite Editor has stopped working"   - no other information is displayed and the program goes away when you press "close program" - "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (obviously there is no solution).

Oddly, "Export" button with same set of .jpgs will create the output .jpg file ok.  It generates a 22,482KB file that looks ok from the 40 HDR .jpg source files (that total about 135MB) .

But pressing Export (non cropped) it terminates with error at about 29% complete

Reproduced every time with 64-bit ICE 1.4.4 on Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 , Core I7 860 2.8Ghz CPU (8GB ram)

Memory for ICE was at about 3.8GB (I have 8GB physical ram and system was using 6.38GB at time of failure. before I start ICE it's 2.7GB).

I don't know what to look for in sysinternals Process Explorer, but it did show these threads running until they were suspended before I terminate ICE

Not sure if this means anything but, the stack for thread 3476 that has the "0x0" address shows this:

(I was trying to look for any reason for general protection failure)

ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc0a
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x732
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x19f
    ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0xba4
    ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1821
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x93d
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x19f
    win32k.sys!memset+0x7ae7
    win32k.sys!memset+0x7b81
    win32k.sys!memset+0x61a0
    win32k.sys!memset+0x62a5
    win32k.sys!memset+0x7ca9
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x3a23
    USER32.dll!SfmDxSetSwapChainStats+0x1a
    USER32.dll!GetMessageW+0x2a
    MSCTF.dll!TF_RunInputCPL+0x1d61
    clr.dll+0x1f37

Let me know if I can provide any other reproduce information for you..

Hope this helps..

Thanks, Joe

Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• I thought i had a consistent reproduce, so i could test a workaround

1) click New Panorama (ctrl-n) - select the 40 images clicking in the list and using ^a.

2) load the 40 images (it says reading source images,matching source images,solving,compositing steps)

3) click "publish to web" (Without any adjustments, take defaults) (or Alt-F, P)

it says checking for photosynth updates, compositing for photosynth... and at 29% it crashes pretty consistently (though I feel i might have seen it succeed once).

Possible Workaround:

Using  the "adjust projection icon" next to the crop icon and  drag it a bit to the left (maybe 30% rotation of orientation), it started to work!   

Seems like a pretty consistent workaround for me.  so maybe this is a one-off data/image-related problem?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:56 PM