OEM Motherboard No Warantty RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I Have A HP Computer With OEM Vista On it.

I am no longer covered by HP's warranty.

If My Motherboard Fails (I think It might soon) I will not be able to get an HP replacement.

If I buy a comparable motherboard will I be able to reactivate Vista?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hello JE_DELTA,

No, OEM versions of Windows are only licensed to the first computer it is installed on.  Since a computer is just a bunch of easly replaced parts, it was decided that the Motherboard is the part that represents a unique individual computer. If the motherboard is changed, as far as Licensing is concerned, a new computer is created and the OEM Windows would not be licensed to run on that new computer.

The only exception is if the original manufacturer replaces the motherboard under warranty.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hello JE_DELTA,

No, OEM versions of Windows are only licensed to the first computer it is installed on.  Since a computer is just a bunch of easly replaced parts, it was decided that the Motherboard is the part that represents a unique individual computer. If the motherboard is changed, as far as Licensing is concerned, a new computer is created and the OEM Windows would not be licensed to run on that new computer.

The only exception is if the original manufacturer replaces the motherboard under warranty.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:44 PM
  • If I upgrade to windows 7 from vista does that make my os no longer OEM so I could then upgrade the motherboard?
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:33 PM
  • "Charlesrothwell" wrote in message news:13b6caf2-6d60-48e2-9dea-cc575724c561...
    If I upgrade to windows 7 from vista does that make my os no longer OEM so I could then upgrade the motherboard?

Only if you use a Full License, not an Upgrade License - the original OEM License would become invalid on upgrading the motherboard, thus invalidating an ordinary upgrade.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:55 PM