WHS error message RRS feed

• Question

• A friend has an original WHS - HP Mediasmart server LX 195.  It has the built-in WDC WDC6400AAKS-65A7B2 drive and he has 3 external USB drives to total about 6.5TB with about 2 TB free.

He backs up his Windows 7 manually and it keeps stopping at about 11% completion with the following error message:

Failure details for volume (Local Disk):

An error occurred reading or writing from server storage.

D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A474B4}

WriteFile

It seems to be a different temp file each try but otherwise always the same error in D:\folders.  He was able to backup up another connected PC (much smaller drive and running XP SP3) without any problem.

I had him chkdsk the 2 Win 7 drives and to configure a backup for just the C and then just the D but the same problem persists.  It seems to be on the WHS drive.

I am not a WHS guy.  Any idea how to correct?

We just removed the oldest external drive from the pool (took all night) and tried again.  Same error message at 23% complete.

Thanks

Dan

Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:31 PM

All replies

• It's likely there's some corruption in the backup database. He can try using the repair feature in the console, then reboot the server and try another backup.

It's also possible that one of his server's drives has issues. See this FAQ for how to check all drives for errors. If a drive turns up with bad sectors, the instructions in the FAQ will repair that problem, but another database repair should be run afterward. And if issues come back, it may be that a drive is failing; in that case he will have to remove the drive from server storage. In the case of a failing drive, read this FAQ, which discusses what's at risk if a drive in your server fails.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by Gary Voth Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:21 AM