Automatically Update Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Has anyone setup the Automatic update for Outlook - we have 20 odd machines running the CRM Outlook client Roll up 6. We need to update them to Roll Up 7 and then Roll Up 9 but we would obviously like to do this in a mass process. Does anyone know what’s involved (high level in bullet points)?

Also if we setup the auto update how easy is it to change for another update?

If there is a lot of worked involved we may just manually roll the updates but I would people’s opinions on this (I know you can't comment on time scales) but I'd appreciate some advice / some of experiences. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:43 PM

Answers

• The process for deploying the Outlook client is described in the Implementation Guide. You have various options depending upon which Microsoft management products you prefer to use (e.g. Active Directory and group policy objects or Systems Management Server).

One limitation, until Update Rollup 7 is installed, is that the user account must have local admin rights on the PC -- although Microsoft assumes this is the case, most sensible sys admins don't provide users with local admin rights. Update Rollup 8 doesn't require local admin rights, but I haven't tested the remote installation procedure for it yet.

Here's a useful blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/08/crm-client-autoupdate.aspx.

Regards,

Neil

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies

• The process for deploying the Outlook client is described in the Implementation Guide. You have various options depending upon which Microsoft management products you prefer to use (e.g. Active Directory and group policy objects or Systems Management Server).

One limitation, until Update Rollup 7 is installed, is that the user account must have local admin rights on the PC -- although Microsoft assumes this is the case, most sensible sys admins don't provide users with local admin rights. Update Rollup 8 doesn't require local admin rights, but I haven't tested the remote installation procedure for it yet.

Here's a useful blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/08/crm-client-autoupdate.aspx.

Regards,

Neil

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Neil - many thanks!!!!

The instructions in the link you provided worked for us. Thank you

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:28 PM