Outlook 2003 email receive operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server error report (0x8004210A); RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

OneCare causing Outlook 2003 Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server error on XP Professional Service pack 3

I'm constantly getting ERROR Task - Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server since installing Onecare.  I have checked my mails setup with the instructions on www.pacific.net.au website and they are correct.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Onecare - I have no other anti-virus or filters installed or running except onecare.

My ISP business.techsupport@pacific.net.au tell me to disable/turn off anti-virus scanning program to scan emails but I don't want to.

Does anyone know the fix so I can use your product Onecare and still receive emails without these constant timed out errors?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:16 AM

All replies

• The most likely reason for this error is that you still have traces (or a complete install active) of your prior antivirus or security program on the PC intercepting your mail. OneCare does not scan inbound or outbound email, so has no effect on email send/receive.
    If you were using Norton, McAfee, or other security software before OneCare, be sure to completely remove all traces using their cleanup tools when offered by the vendor.

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Removal Tool - http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

If you have done this and it still does not work, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I'll add that one other reason for the error is that you have a typo in the server information - I've done that enough enough to know!
    Try disabling the OneCare virus and spyware protection temporarily (to troubleshoot). If mail works, your settings are correct and it is a conflicting program or leftover service. If it doesn't work, it is most likely a setting.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hi Stephen,  Thanks for your advice.  I have had Norton installed but had removed it using their old tool so I downloaded their new one and ran it again to be sure.  The only other software I have used is Webroot but I had removed it by following the manufacturers directions.  -> I'm noticing that the problem goes away if I reboot but them comes back -> it seems to be linked to after my HP Pavilion DV9000 hybonates and then I get the receiving email timeouts error from Outlook 2003 -> I can still send email.  Is it possible that this problem is caused by Onecare confliction with the HP Hybonate utility or is there another answer?  Many thanks, John
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:15 AM
  • If you close Outlook before letting the PC hibernate (or putting it to work offline) you may avoid the problem. I don't know that it is specific to OneCare, though it could be, however I've heard of the exact problem you encounter with the inability to access mail if Outlook was online when the connection was closed due to hibernation. It appears that Outlook loses its way to the POP server.
    If you simply close and open Outlook after waking from Hibernation, does the problem persist? Note you need to wait a few minutes after closing Outlook as it takes a while to fully exit from memory.
    -steve

Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm running a HP Pavillion dv9000 with Windows Xp Professional on a home wirless network.  I have tried everything and the only thing that works and allows me to use Outlook without the receive function being blocked is to connect external power then go into power management and turn standby off when connected to external power.   Why would Onecare react to standby by blocking receiveing email in Outlook?

To assist, here is my hijackthis report with standby off and connected to external power:-

<deleted Hijack This! log>

Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Hello, Hoops1.

I'm not sure that it is OneCare causing the problem, though it may be a contributing factor. If it is involved, it would be that the network stack has changed its condition relative to what Outlook is expecting to see for access to the Internet.
    The fact that you are using wireless is another clue. When the PC goes to sleep, the wireless adapter is shut down. When it wakes up, it needs to be initialized and needs to establish a connection to your router once again. If  Outlook tries to send/receive mail before that happens, it won't get network access.
    Have you tried putting Outlook into Off-line mode *before* letting the PC go to sleep? When the PC then wakes, can Outlook send/receive after you toggle Outlook back to Online?
    -steve
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I did as you said - I put Outlook into Off-line mode - I changed stand-by from *never* to *1 minute* then after my PC went to sleep - I woke it up - put Outlook into ON-line mode - hit the send and receive button and RECEIVE did not hang.

This didn't happen under Norton (I used the Norton tool to fully remove it) and has only been happening since I installed Onecare.

Do you know how to get a perminant fix for this problem as i would like to be able to wake up my PC and not have to reboot before i can receive through Outlook?

John
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Unfortunately, I am not aware of any fix for the problem other than to put Outlook into Off-line mode before letting the PC go to sleep. Obviously, this should *not* be the case, but the problem has been reported by others and not just with OneCare. I don't know if it is an Outlook issue ot a problem with the OneCare firewall (and other 3rd party firewalls) interacting with Outlook.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:33 PM