none
How to use RDC to access WHS console? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm away from my home network and am unable to connect (well, it's frozen) to the WHS console via IE8 or Firefox (IE Tab).  I've read numerous references to using the RDC method but how does one specify their my.homeserver.com WHS?

I'm still able to access the console with IE8, but it's frozen at the settings page and an error message appears in the status bar of IE.  Not sure if this is why I can't take control:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Zune 3.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
    Timestamp: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 20:57:21 UTC

Message: '__pendingCallbacks[...].async' is null or not an object
    Line: 163
    Char: 13
    Code: 0
    URI: https://my.homeserver.com/Remote/WebResource.axd?d=0mPXi35RBbBXwhY2Fc31tQ2&t=633787685086600000

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:05 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me like something crashed your console. Possibly logging in to your server via Remote Desktop would let you fix this, or possibly not. (I'm thinking a reboot is called for.) But Remote Desktop is an unsupported way to access your server. In addition, you would need to have configured your server and your network in advance to allow Remote Desktop connections from the Internet at large. To do this, you would need to forward port 3389 from your router to your server, and then configure Windows Firewall on your server to allow connections on that port from anywhere, including the Internet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:41 PM