none
Users are unable to resolve variables environment %LOCALAPPDATA%

Question

• Hi,

I work as a IT-technican for a Company. I've been trying to found a solution to a mysterious issue, that our users have been reporting in to us. This issue is a folder called %LOCALAPPDATA%, that have been randomly created on our "Shared documents" and on users own local profile.

All users who are unable to resolve variables environment %LOCALAPPDATA%, has been experiencing this mysterious issue. However users who can resolve %LocalAppData%, dont experience the problems like the others.

Any ideas ?

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:10 AM

Answers

• They'll help you over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?auth=1

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

I work as a IT-technican for a Company. I've been trying to found a solution to a mysterious issue, that our users have been reporting in to us. This issue is a folder called %LOCALAPPDATA%, that have been randomly created on our "Shared documents" and on users own local profile.

All users who are unable to resolve variables environment %LOCALAPPDATA%, has been experiencing this mysterious issue. However users who can resolve %LocalAppData%, dont experience the problems like the others.

Any ideas ?

Good day,

you question is not perfectly clear to me

>> This issue is a folder called %LOCALAPPDATA%, that have been randomly created on our "Shared documents" and on users own local profile.

%LOCALAPPDATA% is not a folder but an environmental variable (which should configured to dynamic path). It is not created randomly.

By default it will be created once the user create a profile

The path should point to the location "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local"
    the path "%USERPROFILE%" by default is the user profile folder.
    Therefore, by default the path %LOCALAPPDATA% points to something like: 
    C:\Users\<user name come here>\AppData\Local

The behavior that you describe seems perfectly normal.

>> this mysterious issue

Is don't understand what is the "this". what mysterious issue do you see?!?

please try to elaborate 

>> the problems like the others

Same as above... Not clear to me what is the problems  you experience?

** In any way you can configure the path for all the users that does not have profile yet or the path is not configure well.

** Remember that the AppData Folder is a hidden folder. If you want to see it, then you should enable the option to see hidden files and folders.

** You can search Google these words in order to find how to configure the environmental variable add your operating system as well:
    windows add environmental variable

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:17 PM

All replies

• They'll help you over here.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Any ideas ?

Good day,

you question is not perfectly clear to me

>> This issue is a folder called %LOCALAPPDATA%, that have been randomly created on our "Shared documents" and on users own local profile.

%LOCALAPPDATA% is not a folder but an environmental variable (which should configured to dynamic path). It is not created randomly.

By default it will be created once the user create a profile

The path should point to the location "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local"
    the path "%USERPROFILE%" by default is the user profile folder.
    Therefore, by default the path %LOCALAPPDATA% points to something like: 
    C:\Users\<user name come here>\AppData\Local

The behavior that you describe seems perfectly normal.

>> this mysterious issue

Is don't understand what is the "this". what mysterious issue do you see?!?

please try to elaborate 

>> the problems like the others

Same as above... Not clear to me what is the problems  you experience?

** In any way you can configure the path for all the users that does not have profile yet or the path is not configure well.

** Remember that the AppData Folder is a hidden folder. If you want to see it, then you should enable the option to see hidden files and folders.

** You can search Google these words in order to find how to configure the environmental variable add your operating system as well:
    windows add environmental variable

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, January 28, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

You will have to excuse me for being unclear. The mysterius issue that I have been refering is a folder named %LOCALAPPDATA%, that has been created on multiple location across our shared Documents. Such as X:\Department\CRM\%LOCALAPPDATA% or X:\Archive\1986\Feb\Logistics\%LOCALAPPDATA%.

I'm aware of %LOCALAPPDATA% being environmental variable, which by default hidden from users. Since this issue began some application has ceases to work such as chrome. Users that has been affected seems to miss environmental variable %LOCALAPPDATA%. When I start CMD and type Set, there is no LOCALAPPDATA to be found on the list.

Any idés ?

P.S OS is Windows 7

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:31 AM
  • This is "where is" forum for direction on where best to ask questions. I'd try them over here.

They'll help you over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=w7itpro&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:59 PM