Initial sync details RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Just started using live sync and was wondering about a few details. I am using Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP 32bit. The 7 machine has all the files (15000, 45gig) and when I watch the resource monitor it is unusual. On about a 90 second interval, moe.exe keeps spiking the disk and cpu usage (50%). After about 50 second, the usage drops to zero. When I can see that during this time moe.exe is reading a bunch of the files that I want to sync. Is this how it supposed to act? Seems to me that it should be able to keep at least one of these at full usage until whatever it is doing is done.

It has been several hours and over a wireless G connection there is only about 100 meg of data actually transfered. I am using p2p sync because all the files would not fit on the live desktop. Is this normal or slow?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:55 AM

Answers

• First of all, I assume that you mean Live Mesh and not Live Sync - two different programs.
    With that very large amount of data, it will indeed take a long time to chug through it in order to transfer the data between machines - both remote and local. I can't say why it seems faster over the WAN, but it is normal for that large amount of data to take ages to transfer via Live Mesh.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:06 PM

All replies

• Question/bug. It has been over 24 hours now and these systems (on LAN) have only transfered about 200 meg of data. This seems really slow to me. Also, The XP machine is syncing with another XP machine over the WAN and has about 4 gigs done. Any suggestions on why the WAN sync is going faster than the LAN?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:25 PM
  • First of all, I assume that you mean Live Mesh and not Live Sync - two different programs.
    With that very large amount of data, it will indeed take a long time to chug through it in order to transfer the data between machines - both remote and local. I can't say why it seems faster over the WAN, but it is normal for that large amount of data to take ages to transfer via Live Mesh.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Yep, Live Mesh not Live Sync. Had to ditch Live Sync because of the 20,000 file limit.

Is there a way to tell if it is working? The two systems that are on LAN haven't transfered any more data. I have restarted both computers to make sure the process wasn't hung or anything. They seem to have just stopped transferring data for no reason. Are there any troubleshooting steps for this?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Unfortunately, there isn't much for you to do other than to either let it take its sweet time or to make a decision to start fresh if it appears that the synchronization has indeed stopped. Typically, when we're talking about a large amount of data for the sync, I recommend manually copying the data - over the LAN or via "sneaker net" if possible. Once all devices have the same files on them, then set up the folder to be a Mesh folder and use the Browse button to point the offered folder to the existing folder. It will still need to churn through the data, but minimal transfer will take place since the data should be the same and no conflicts should arise.
    -steve
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Thanks, It seems to be chugging along again (1 MB/sec), but I didn't do anything but wait. It feels like there is some sort of throttling going on here, but am not sure. Any way, thanks for all the help and the great product.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Yes, it does limit the network utilization for the transfer of data. It will chug along for quite some time, with many periods of apparent inactivity, when we're talking about loads of data.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:51 PM