none
Convert Quicken / CSV File To MS Money RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a free program that converts these file formats so Money (2004) can import them?

MT2OFX is installed, but it will not operate anymore since installing Windows 7 November 2018 security updates.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards

Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:51 AM

All replies

• Money 2004 has 'Convert Quicken File' on the File menu. Does this not do what you want?

Regards,

Jonathan.

Saturday, November 17, 2018 5:50 PM
  • There is no conversion for a quicken file directly, but if you can export each account from Quicken into a *.qif file, Money should be able to import them into a Money file with a special procedure.

If that is what you want to do, let us know. The process includes selecting all of the QIF files and importing all at once.

If, on the other hand, you are wanting to bring in transactions from a financial institution into Money, that is a different thing.

Saturday, November 17, 2018 6:56 PM
  • There is no conversion for a quicken file directly, but if you can export each account from Quicken into a *.qif file, Money should be able to import them into a Money file with a special procedure.

If that is what you want to do, let us know. The process includes selecting all of the QIF files and importing all at once.

If, on the other hand, you are wanting to bring in transactions from a financial institution into Money, that is a different thing.

Yes, that is what I want to do.

Is there a free program (or one that doesn't cost a lot) that will convert these files so Money can read them?

For what it's worth,  MT2OFX is installed on my Windows 7 laptop, too, and the Windows 7 November security update has had no affect on the OFX converter program.

Any thoughts about skipping the November security update and waiting on the December update instead. If this doesn't work, I may resort to a complete reinstall of the operating system. (ouch)

Regards

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:33 AM
  • If you can create a *.qif file, Money can bring that in. One way in Money is to click File->Import->Statements or similar wording. Then select the file. Another is to select the *.QIF file in Windows Explorer, and either double-click it or right-click and choose open. Another still is to type the path/name of the QIF file in a command window.

I use a free program called PocketSense to get transactions from my financial institutions that have an OFX/QFX server into Money. Brokers and credit cards often do that, and only a few banks do. But many banks offer the ability to download transactions as a QIF, OFX, or QFX file.

EDIT... went looking back... Maybe something discussed on this thread will be worth revisiting:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1e01e5a8-3c06-4265-931d-9601af50db56/convert-csv-to-ofx?forum=money

If you have a problem with one of the hle tools, you might post that here. He has provided useful help here in the past.

Also, I see some CSV to QIF tools listed here: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

QIF statements work similarly to OFX, with some differences. Mainly the duplicate transaction method is less sophisticated. Money presumes that if a QIF statement has the same amount and same date and same payee, they are the same transaction. That is true, even if the transactions are in the same QIF file. So if you buy a cup of coffee with your debit card, and get another later that day at the same price, Money will only recognize one transaction.

OFX files use a financial institution transaction ID (FITID) which needs to be unique. If your newconverter produces OFX files that give a different FITID than the old one, expect duplicates if the dates overlap.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:09 PM
  • ...Also, I see some CSV to QIF tools listed here: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

QIF statements work similarly to OFX, with some differences. Mainly the duplicate transaction method is less sophisticated. Money presumes that if a QIF statement has the same amount and same date and same payee, they are the same transaction. That is true, even if the transactions are in the same QIF file. So if you buy a cup of coffee with your debit card, and get another later that day at the same price, Money will only recognize one transaction.

OFX files use a financial institution transaction ID (FITID) which needs to be unique. If your newconverter produces OFX files that give a different FITID than the old one, expect duplicates if the dates overlap.

Sorry, Cal, but I couldn't make much sense out of the Wiki page.

I saw this on YouTube for what it's worth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGiL3nIGQY

Regards

Thursday, December 27, 2018 4:04 AM
  • ...Also, I see some CSV to QIF tools listed here: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

Sorry, Cal, but I couldn't make much sense out of the Wiki page.

On that page, BankCSVtoQif looks interesting. The Fonts section at the bottom of that page is unusual, containing the phrase "forbiddden over a century". 

Rustyfender04, what is your starting format?

You said "For what it's worth,  MT2OFX is installed on my Windows 7 laptop, too, and the Windows 7 November security update has had no affect on the OFX converter program. " So what I think you are saying is that MT2OFX works the way you want on your laptop computer but not on your desktop. What happens when you launch it on the desktop computer?

Thursday, December 27, 2018 2:32 PM