Does Anti-virus-spyware software belong on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings;

This will get a laugh but am I wrong in thinking that WHS beta is a standalone product? Do I need to install anti-virus and anti spyware on my server?

Please be kind, I have two machines that are connected to my server and I'm running Onecare on both of them, so far after a couple weeks everything is Fine!

My opinion so far is Very Good, I like this WHS software alot, thanks.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:13 PM

Answers

• You will get opinions on both sides of this question. My own take is that, yes, it needs antivirus software. I don't feel this way because I think the client PCs in my home are likely to spread contagion to WHS; I know they all have good antivirus protection. I feel this way because we occasionally have guests, who may wish to bring their own laptops, and I don't have control over the software on those PCs. I can either refuse to permit them to connect to our internal network, or I can protect WHS.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I use Clamwin for my SBS and WHS virus protection.

Has been working pretty good for some time now, no real huge issues:
    Runs well  on WHS and SBS

http://www.clamwin.com/

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:23 AM
  •  mrees wrote:
    I use Clamwin for my SBS and WHS virus protection.

Runs well on WHS and SBS

Same for me on the WHS, but I'm using AVG on the desktop and laptop. http://free.grisoft.com/
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:14 PM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:
     mrees wrote:

Runs well on WHS and SBS

Same for me on the WHS, but I'm using AVG on the desktop and laptop. http://free.grisoft.com/

Great minds must think alike Smile

I too am using AVG on the client side.

Works pretty well (great for a free product). have my fair share of periodic reinstalls on Vista with AVG as it sometimes is totally unable to correctly update, apart from that its a pretty great product for the price tag and for home users.

Clamwin is free to anyone out there that is looking for a simple, yet free Virus solution for a server based product. Im pretty sure its open source, but dont quote me.

I have no worries paying for AV protection for business use, but there wasnt much of a chance in getting me to fork out decent dollars for a server based AV system, especially seeing I only use server in a VM environment running SBS for 2 home users and now running WHS.

Glad I finally came accross Clamwin, the latest version seems much better than earlier attempts. It updates a lot easier now and seems to pretty much just look after itself.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:47 PM

All replies

• You will get opinions on both sides of this question. My own take is that, yes, it needs antivirus software. I don't feel this way because I think the client PCs in my home are likely to spread contagion to WHS; I know they all have good antivirus protection. I feel this way because we occasionally have guests, who may wish to bring their own laptops, and I don't have control over the software on those PCs. I can either refuse to permit them to connect to our internal network, or I can protect WHS.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Thanks, that makes good sense, wonder if the Onecare would work on it?
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:59 PM
  •  AnonymousWannabeGeek wrote:
    Thanks, that makes good sense, wonder if the Onecare would work on it?
    That would be a bad idea. OneCare seems to have a lot of issues. Search the forums for more details. I'm using Symantec Corporate on my WHS. It's only $50 or so.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:23 PM
  • People can upload files through the web interface, so you should probably have anti-virus on there.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:17 PM
  • If WHS backups  data from other PC's thers a high chance that theres some sort of virus, spyware, addrwae, etc.

maybe it could scan all incomming data to make sure that nothing that should't get in does.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Because backups are stored as clusters, not files, there's no real need to scan them. Likewise, it's unlikely that you'll run any file placed in a network share on the server. So files in shares don't really need to be protected. What I'm concerned about is the person who brings an infected laptop into my house. That infected laptop could, in the right situation, spread it's infection to WHS.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:40 PM
  • The general feeling seems to be that if you don't allow remote access, don't browse from the server desktop, and do keep the AV on the client machines up to date, you shouldn't need any AV on the WHS. 

OTOH, if you can't keep everyone in line, you might want to try a server-type AV product.  There are some free trials for such products available on the 'net.

Monday, April 16, 2007 12:36 AM
  • Personally I'd like an antivirus package that would be configured to push the client side application out to any computer that attaches itself to the WHS.  Is there something like that available?

-T

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:26 AM
  • I agree. Typically, I think that would be the standard installation of  Anti-virus apps especially during testing. Besides since some of the clients could possibly be wirelessly connected to the network, infiltration by an outsider who just found and borrowed an unprotected wireless network  is understandably a threat. I could not find anything in the documentation about anti-virus apps or if they should be installed. If this was a retail product, I would expect it to run a server-side anti-threat solution and push theprotection out to all the clients. So what is the verdict?

Jack

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:13 AM
  • AV is not part of WHS 1 and is not addressed in the documentation. It will be a retail product and will run a suitable server-side "anti-threat" solution.

As you may have read here:  http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1261626&siteid=50 (and from the WinHEC launch) F-Secure are reportedly providing a Home Server solution but we have no details as yet - beta testing it with those beta-testing WHS would seem a good approach! Other people are running various alternative server or corporate AV solutions satisfactorily and no doubt a range of WHS-specific solutions will be available once it's launched.

I've not heard of an AV solution that automatically pushes itself out to clients, and don't know of any retail products that come with AV build-in. If you have a mutli-user licence for something like AVG then you can put the installer in the \software share and configure it to update from the server.

Saturday, June 9, 2007 12:21 PM
  • I would say yes.  If this was just me using the WHS, then I would probably trust myself and say no.  But since I have siblings and my mother using it, I would have to go with the precautionary measure.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 12:47 PM
  • I meant to say yes, too.

I'd like to think that I was careful enough, but would prefer to have something in place even if it were just me - and as it isn't, I'd like to be better protected!

Saturday, June 9, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good, free AV for WHS?  I use all free applications on my desktops (AOL Anti-virus for the xp boxes and avast for the vista) and I do not surf the web or remote access with my WHS machine.

Just curious...
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:43 PM
  • if whs has full access to all the drives on all the computers, why wouldnt it be possible to allow a virus scanner access to them? i personally would rather have av on it for the purpose of scanning the clients.
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:17 AM
  • Crash provided some great points. However, I know that at work our network is comprised with over 500 computers (Macs, PCs, and some thin clients). They use McAfee Enterprise to scan all of those clients. Now whether that scanning is done from the server-side or pushed out from a McAfee source, I am not sure of.

Even though I have heard it said over and over again that a router is the first line of defense and protects the network behind it, I prefer to be fully protected and protect each client and now the server. We lso have to consider that WHS being a Microsoft product with an overpowering marketshare will become a great opportunity for malware once it becomes available; so I hope that no one will get used to running WHS without protection.

Some great information here. Thanks

Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:28 PM
  • I use avast.  It's free for home use.  It's the only version of AV that I could get to run on my 64-bit load of Vista, so I've kind of gotten used to it.  They do have a Server Edition out there too, but I've found that the home edition works plenty well on all my home PC's including WHS.  http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:13 PM
  •  

What about third party devices like the Yoggie, i have not used this yet but i am considering it.

http://www.yoggie.com/corporate_users.shtml

"Yoggie Gatekeeper SOHO provides corporate-grade security for your home or small office network,

Protecting up to five computers with technology used by the world's most highly  guarded organizations"

Plug it between your modem and router and let it deal with all the AV etc...

Yes it’s expensive but it is self updating and easy to use.... it also means you should not have to install other applications

What do you think?

Especially when thinking about protecting your home server and other users.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  Athena218622 wrote:

The general feeling seems to be that if you don't allow remote access, don't browse from the server desktop, and do keep the AV on the client machines up to date, you shouldn't need any AV on the WHS.

OTOH, if you can't keep everyone in line, you might want to try a server-type AV product. There are some free trials for such products available on the 'net.

Sounds like a good answer there. Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:30 PM
  • The Home solution just seems to sit between the outside world and your network, but (as Ken said) you may have guests in the house who want to hook up to your network. I use AVG (multi-client licence, self-updating) and it seems to be working fine.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Avast will also be offering a reasonably priced anti-virus solution for the homserver

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/07/03/avast-to-release-windows-home-server-anti-virus-product/
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I use Clamwin for my SBS and WHS virus protection.

Runs well  on WHS and SBS

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:23 AM
  • you should allways have a antivirus on a file server, namely files are change many times and virues can come!, and backup server to so its might be good to have antivirus on it!
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:21 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
     AnonymousWannabeGeek wrote:

That would be a bad idea. OneCare seems to have a lot of issues. Search the forums for more details. I'm using Symantec Corporate on my WHS. It's only $50 or so.

Running Onecare on it here and not a problem at all....We all have different views of what is good/bad software...Symantec is incredibly invasive to a machine though IMHO and I remove it right away every time...I have had so many issues with Symantec over the years i would not touch it with a barge pole but clearly you are happy with it which is fine but just pointing out my onecare is fine too so not sure what issues others seem to have..will check out the thread you posted though just to be sure..

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:48 AM
  •  Sirius99 wrote:
    Ken Warren wrote:
    AnonymousWannabeGeek wrote:

Running Onecare on it here and not a problem at all....We all have different views of what is good/bad software...Symantec is incredibly invasive to a machine though IMHO and I remove it right away every time...I have had so many issues with Symantec over the years i would not touch it with a barge pole but clearly you are happy with it which is fine but just pointing out my onecare is fine too so not sure what issues others seem to have..will check out the thread you posted though just to be sure..

I've had good luck with Symantec Corp AV on many OSs including WHS. YMMV. Wink
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Just for the record..I think an AV program that installs itself automatically on PC's attached to the server is called a Virus    Think about it! Not a good idea...

Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:28 PM
  •  Sirius99 wrote:

Just for the record..I think an AV program that installs itself automatically on PC's attached to the server is called a Virus Think about it! Not a good idea...

I have the right to enforce any AV policy I want, on my networks. Users have no rights, on my networks, they're guests and as such, they'll follow my policy or they won't be connected to my networks.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Everyone has their preferences. I just stopped using Zone Alarm because they sold their IS 2007 in January with the "VIsta Ready" logo on the packaging - only it wasn't and they won't take it back; neither Zone Alarm or the store. I stopped using Norton after it was verified that their product installed root kits and of course you would never otherwise notice an installed root-kit. Anyway I have a few things in One-care I do not like but all in all I have no other problems with it. Especially when with rebates it is $zero dollars - free and supports up to 3 machines.

And now I just signed up for their Beta testing of the server version of one-care so I can get involved in correcting those little annoyances in the client version. What a deal in the beta testing of this great server product and now with a server base av solution. http://connect.microsoft.com/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=2842&SiteID=168

Thanks guys for a great opportunity

Jack

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:00 PM
  • AVG had an early Vista x64 offering, which works well for me. And their regular (not free) edition runs fine on Server 2k3
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Corp edition (used onsite) seems OK, but the home version became a monster, which (after much wrestling on other people's systems) put me off, after using Norton for some years.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:10 PM
  •  mrees wrote:

Runs well on WHS and SBS

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:14 PM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:
     mrees wrote:

Runs well on WHS and SBS

Great minds must think alike Smile

I too am using AVG on the client side.

Works pretty well (great for a free product). have my fair share of periodic reinstalls on Vista with AVG as it sometimes is totally unable to correctly update, apart from that its a pretty great product for the price tag and for home users.

Clamwin is free to anyone out there that is looking for a simple, yet free Virus solution for a server based product. Im pretty sure its open source, but dont quote me.

I have no worries paying for AV protection for business use, but there wasnt much of a chance in getting me to fork out decent dollars for a server based AV system, especially seeing I only use server in a VM environment running SBS for 2 home users and now running WHS.

Glad I finally came accross Clamwin, the latest version seems much better than earlier attempts. It updates a lot easier now and seems to pretty much just look after itself.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:47 PM
  •  SME wrote:
     Sirius99 wrote:

Just for the record..I think an AV program that installs itself automatically on PC's attached to the server is called a Virus Think about it! Not a good idea...

I have the right to enforce any AV policy I want, on my networks. Users have no rights, on my networks, they're guests and as such, they'll follow my policy or they won't be connected to my networks.

I do not disagrree but as a user if I connected to your network and you automatically tried to download something on my PC I personally view that as a violation of my PC UNLESS I have agreed before I joined your network that the terms for using your network are such that I have to have this as part of that usage agreement.

Anyway keep your knickers on...my post was somewhat in jest and of course you can decide who gets on. I wouldn't want on your network under those arrangements but if you wanted some proof that my pc was fully patched and up-to-date before letting me on then that would be different. That should be acceptable to you if you can verify they are patched.

Automatic installs are a tad dangerous if you have not verified they work beforehand on the range of kit , O/S's etc that might want to join your network though..anyone who allows something like this on their machine as part of joining a network is just asking for trouble..IMHO of course....

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:01 PM
  •  

I have just installed ClamWin and tried setting up scheduled scans. I notice that it does not allow \\server\\folder notation in hte folder path so I have to use, for example, "D:\\Users\folder". Is this going to work correctly?

Does anyone know if there is anyone working on AV software add-in to WHS that will be controllable from the Console?

Ben

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  Sirius99 wrote:
    SME wrote:
    Sirius99 wrote:

I do not disagrree but as a user if I connected to your network and you automatically tried to download something on my PC I personally view that as a violation of my PC UNLESS I have agreed before I joined your network that the terms for using your network are such that I have to have this as part of that usage agreement.

Anyway keep your knickers on...my post was somewhat in jest and of course you can decide who gets on. I wouldn't want on your network under those arrangements but if you wanted some proof that my pc was fully patched and up-to-date before letting me on then that would be different. That should be acceptable to you if you can verify they are patched.

Automatic installs are a tad dangerous if you have not verified they work beforehand on the range of kit , O/S's etc that might want to join your network though..anyone who allows something like this on their machine as part of joining a network is just asking for trouble..IMHO of course....

By connecting to my network you've already agreed to follow my policies. If you don't agree, don't even try to connect, imo.

You can't decide what's acceptable to me, I set policy. Wink While I agree that forcing AV installs is overkill for home networks, it really is up to each admin to set policy. While I use SAV Corp at home, I don't actually force AV installs, at home, but if I wanted to... Big Smile

They don't always work, I've used Symantec Corp AV for nearly a decade and you can setup the centralized management to auto-install AV on new clients, if they are the proper OS. It's not going to try to install on unknown or unsupported clients, of course but it does work. That's not really intended for networks with roaming or guest access though.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:17 PM
  • There are quite a few of the major vendors who are working on versions for WHS, I would think they all will - they won't want to be left out of the potential market.

Colin

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Just me again, stumbled on this solution for AV and AS, what does anyone know or think?

Yoggie?

It's a standalone anti-virus, spyware, firewall, etc. that hooks between your cable modem and the internet, all the software runs on it, updates automatically etc, check it out www.yoggie.com

Covers five machines, or you can buy it for one also, almost sounds too good to be true to me so I will wait to hear some input.

Thanks.

David

ps, this would cover the WHS on my network.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I have that same opinion about Symantec's home products (ie. Norton Internet Security), but the corporate edition of Norton AV is small sweet, seamless, and never expires. I've had the same version happily protecting my PC's for four years now without a single problem. Steer clear of security suites, and home products...Do what Ken suggests, spend $50.00, pick up a copy of Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, and just install the unmanaged client component on the server...you'll thank yourself next year when everyone else is doling out another $29.99, and your NAV is still humming along getting free updates.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:09 AM