Money 2001 suddenly started crashing RRS feed

• Question

• My home desktop is running Win7 64 Pro and MS Money 2001 intl. version. I have been using Money in this configuration for several years without any issue.

Since Nov 2014 I have been working abroad. I have a notebook there with Win7 64 Home and exactly the same Money version. I synchronise files including the Money file between these two computers using OneDrive – not directly, but enclosed  in a TrueCrypt container file.

When I arrived abroad in Nov 2014, I opened the Money file created on the home desktop and have kept using it until mid Sep 2015 on the notebook without any issues. In the end of Sep 2015 I had a brief holiday at home. I opened the synced Money file on the home desktop several times and edited it, the last time on 25 Sep – no problem again. After returning abroad, I opened the file on the notebook on 29 Sep and made some edits. No problem. Then I tried to open the file on 2 Oct and the application crashed with the following message:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             msmoney.exe

Application Version:                           9.0.0.907

Application Timestamp:                     39b86642

Fault Module Name:                          report.dll

Fault Module Version:                        9.0.0.907

Fault Module Timestamp:                  39b8674c

Exception Code:                                  c000008e

Exception Offset:                                00011aea

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1029

Additional Information 1:                  0a9e

Additional Information 2:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:                  0a9e

Additional Information 4:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

The crash happens during the start of the application. The application starts, the home screen appears, words saying something like „The report for September is now ready for viewing“ half appear and – crash.

I tried the following:

1. Reinstalled Money on the NTB. Keeps crashing.
    2. Tried to create a new fresh file – Money worked.
    3. Opened a Money file saved at the end of 2014 as a year-end backup on the NTB – Money worked correctly.
    4. I sent the file that crashes on the NTB since 2 Oct home and opened it via remote access on the desktop – worked perfectly.
    5. I changed the system date on the NTB back to 30 Sep – the file opened and Money worked correctly. Changed the date back to reality (4 Oct) – crash.

I am fairly certain I made no change to the NTB configuration between 29 Sep and 2 Oct. Windows update is set to manual.

Any idea what might be hapenning?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:05 PM

All replies

• I suspect that you don't have many backup files to choose from You want to review your backup policy to have more vintages of back files. Also, be prepared for a hard drive crash.

I would try making a repaired version of your *.mny file. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/902466

I would make the repaired file in your Documents folder, and only move that to the TC volume after things are working.

I don't know what an NTB is. I suspect it is  your laptop computer.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:40 PM
  • Cal,

thanks. Yes, NTB was short for notebook. I certainly experiment with files directly on hard drive, not in TrueCrypt.

I have some older files and some work, some don't. And as I said, the latest file can be opened on my home computer, but not on the notebook. To me that suggests that there is something wrong with the installation on the NTB, but two reinstallations did not help.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:08 PM