Bank Download data into Money 14 (Windows 10) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having no problems downloading data from my NatWest Accounts into Money until I recently set up my MasterCard account in Money. I now find that the transactions on that account are successfully downloaded to Money BUT they go to my Current Account. I've searched and searched but cannot find how to correct this. Downloading to a spreadsheet works fine with transactions on my several accounts, including MasterCard, being listed correctly so presumably I've made a mistake in Money when setting up MasterCard. Can anyone help please?

Monday, January 2, 2017 9:53 AM

All replies

• How recently? Do you have a backup that just predates downloading the problem statements?

Is this an OFX file?

Does it contain the string CCSTMTRS ?

Monday, January 2, 2017 10:56 AM
  • Yes, it is an OFX file and all transactions show up in blocks with their correct account shown alongside the each transaction. I therefore concluded (correctly?) that the wrong linking of the MasterCard data to the Current Account occurs within Money but I cannot find where that Linking is defined.

I will admit that I believe during the setting up of the MasterCard that I saw a pop up box that asked me to which account the MasterCard should be linked and I must have either misunderstaood the question or answered it incorrectly but where that information is now I do not know.

Another admission on my part. Having been a Money user for years and years, I have introduced it to a friend and it is on her machine that the problem has arisen. I only mention this as I cannot check the backup possible solution until tomorrow and I will let you know.

Many thanks so far.

Monday, January 2, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Yes, the problem occurred very recently so hopefully a backup reinstallation would leave very little current data to re enter.
    Monday, January 2, 2017 3:01 PM
  • When you first download an OFX file from an institution, Money asks where the statement should go. If you restored your backup from the right time, presumably Money would ask again. You would direct it to the CC account. So at least save that *.mbf file for now to leave that option open.

If OFX Web statements are placed in the wrong account, blank the
    Financial Institution (FI) for the *wrong* account in account
    settings.  Do that in the Account Settings/Details, which you can
    reach by right-clicking the account name on the Account List.  Don't
    just change the FI.  Blank it using the Delete or Backspace keys.

On the Account List, if there are transactions to read for the
    wrong account, right-click TransactionsToRead, and then click
    Delete Statement.

Import the OFX file.  Money should ask which account to use.  Tell
    Money the statement should go onto the right account.

Put the FI for the *wrong* account back.

If that does not fix it, see method 2 of
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910214/en-us where you temporarily
    change the currency of the wrong account.

Monday, January 2, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for all your help. As I say, I cannot get to it until tomorrow but I will give it my best shot and let you know.

Thanks again.

Monday, January 2, 2017 4:26 PM
  • I have completely resolved problem. Thank you.

In the end I took the more time consuming route of reinstalling backup immediately before problem and it worked.

I had tried Option 1 and 2 as recommended which was to temporarily delete/change details of said account in order to force the system to enquire for information, thereby giving me the opportunity to remedy the error. Unfortunately, in changing the bank account currency, as one way of forcing an enquiry, I unthinkingly changed the currency from sterling to the first currency option on the list (Afghan currency) and too late realised that Afghan currency does not have two decimal places. Consequently all my transaction values going back to the year dot were rounded down to zero decimal places and threw everything into disarray. 

As I say all is well and thank you.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Since you have a solution, please mark the thread answered.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:12 PM