none
Avoid Duplication of Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day! :)

If I find a post related to my issue but it does not solve my problem, do I need to submit a new question or can I somehow re-open the original post with a new question?

Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:35 PM

Answers

• Not sure which setting your refering to, but if you're referring to this: "Automatically Show New Threads As They Arrive", this is a live update feature. New threads will show on top (as they come in). Either way, if you submit a new thread or reply to an existing thread (with the same issue), that thread will show up on top however can get bumped all the way down depending on the active participants on that Forum.
    Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by VirtualizeMe Friday, November 20, 2009 4:36 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I see the scenario here, probably a good feature to have. I'll discuss with the team. For now, I suggest submitting a new thread v.s. replying to an existing thread that has that thread marked as answered. You did confirm that the answered post doesn't seem to resolve your issue however, when you do submit a new thread, make sure to reference other threads with the same problem that has answered threads.

Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by VirtualizeMe Friday, November 20, 2009 8:44 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• I suggest you reply back in the same thread knowing that you have the same problem and there's no answers. Once you do this, the thread will be sorted by "most recent post", meaning, it should move up in the list of threads for that Forum.

THanks.

Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Yes, I figured that, however it appears that user can configure thier forum setting to show only unresolved questions on top etc. So based upon posting a question as a reply to an answeres post, it seems to be less effective for a possible resolution.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Not sure which setting your refering to, but if you're referring to this: "Automatically Show New Threads As They Arrive", this is a live update feature. New threads will show on top (as they come in). Either way, if you submit a new thread or reply to an existing thread (with the same issue), that thread will show up on top however can get bumped all the way down depending on the active participants on that Forum.
    Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by VirtualizeMe Friday, November 20, 2009 4:36 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Hi Don, I cannot help but to think that I am not getting a reply to some of my threads because the post indicates answered to all viewers. Even if I am shown as the last editor and the topic moves up, why would those members busy looking at new questions bother to look at an already answered post?

As a suggestion Don, perhaps it would be nice if  If an existing post that already has a status of "Answered", and someone needs to re-open as "Unanswered", they could reply and mark as "Unanswerd". The topic could then be shown with a combined check mark and question mark until such time as all additional un-answered questions are marked as answered.

Respectfully;

Ron Jones, aka (VertualizeMe)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I see the scenario here, probably a good feature to have. I'll discuss with the team. For now, I suggest submitting a new thread v.s. replying to an existing thread that has that thread marked as answered. You did confirm that the answered post doesn't seem to resolve your issue however, when you do submit a new thread, make sure to reference other threads with the same problem that has answered threads.

Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by VirtualizeMe Friday, November 20, 2009 8:44 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:28 PM