none
says program is installed, i can't find it to open it RRS feed

• Question

• we just got a new windows 10 computer, I went online an downloaded and saved Microsoft money deluxe home and business, the program is listed as a download, I run the program and it looks like its installing, it says it installed, but I can't find it to open it.  I did a right click where it is listed on the down load screen and it just sent a shortcut to the desktop and when I click on that it just reinstalls the program again, but I never get into the program.  if anyone can help and If i don't understand any instructions you give me, I would gladly call you.  I thought I was pretty good at this, I never had this problem before. I have used this forum a few times in the past but not a lot...thanks for any help in advance, we use this program at my job....
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:17 PM

All replies

• Where did you download it from?  What load screen are you referring to?

If you go to Control Panel->Programs and Features, is Money listed there to be uninstalled?

Did you look in C:\Program Files (x86) for a directory named Microsoft Money?

Any chance your anti-virus program prevented the installation?

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:47 PM
  • I would add that msmoney.exe is the file that gets launched when you start Money. Also note that   MNYCoreFiles is a hidden folder.

You could do the following command in a command (cmd) window to find where the file is if you don't find it easily, but it will take time:

dir /a /s \msmoney.exe 

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:11 PM
    1. Press your Windows key, or the Windows icon bottom left of your screen, then the All Apps icon.
    2. Scroll down until you find Money, right click on Money and pin it to Start or select More and pin it to your Taskbar.
    3. If you want a shortcut on your Desktop, right click on your Desktop, select New-Shortcut then Browse and navigate to This PC-C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe.

Money is an old program and does not automatically offer or create the launch options recent versions of Windows expect it to.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:55 PM
  • I downloaded it from microsoft

yes it appears there and when I click on it, its saying do you want to uninstall.

I think I did this and don't think I saw it

I tried to turn off virus program but no luck there.

it does say it is installed it goes through the whole installation process, around 6 times now and then say ready to use, but I can't find it to use.

Also while trying the things you suggested I think I found out this is windows 8, if that makes a difference.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:14 PM
  • I did #1 got all the aps and money was not listed as an ap there.

I did #3 and couldn't find those files you mention

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Try right-clicking the install file, and choose RunAsAdministrator.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:23 PM
  • how do I get to this command window. you know I think I remember this happening about three years ago, the last time the town got a new computer and I think you helped me then, but I don't have those instructions anymore thanks
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:32 PM
  • I forgot to add since I have tried the ideas I have gotten, I did manage to get into a program compatability trouble shooter and it says incompatible program, but I selected fix and it says it fixed it, but I still can't find to open.  I swear it says its installed, but everytime I click on the download, it installs again and says finished.  on the old computer then it went right to program and you set it up....thanks in advance for more help
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:35 PM
  • ok now I have made some progress here, but have a new dilemma I made a back up of money from the old computer, put it in the new computer and just clicked on the back up and it brought up the money program......I got my info entered and managed to pin it to task bar........but now however it says this error about my back up         A:\nbt2015Backup dl.mbf is corrupt or not a money file.

I compared the money version on both computers and they are identical, what could be this problem......I feel great I got it up and working and now can't restore my back up. thanks in advance again.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:59 PM
  • ok now I have made some progress here, but have a new dilemma I made a back up of money from the old computer, put it in the new computer and just clicked on the back up and it brought up the money program......I got my info entered and managed to pin it to task bar........but now however it says this error about my back up         A:\nbt2015Backup dl.mbf is corrupt or not a money file.

I compared the money version on both computers and they are identical, what could be this problem......I feel great I got it up and working and now can't restore my back up. thanks in advance again.

Ouch. It looks like you are dealing with a diskette backup, and those often need more than one diskette for a backup. Do not use a program that tries to fix a diskette by correcting errors on the diskette.

Close Money. Copy the most recent *.mny file from the old computer, to a USB flash drive, and then copy that to your Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that *.mny file. Does that work?

If the old computer failed, you might still be able to read that drive with the new computer. However it sounds like the old computer is still working.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:05 PM
  • I want to thank everyone for the help here, this problem has been resolved and we are all up and running for 16
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:45 PM