Questions about 70-640 exam RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am an IT student from Belgium and as of this year I will be combining working full time and studies (evening classes). At a job interview the interviewer asked if I was willing to do the 70-640 exam (Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, configuring) and to estimate how long it would take me.

I don't have any experience with Windows Server or Active Directory but i'm very motivated to learn about it.
    What is the best way to prepare for this exam in my situation and how long would it take me to prepare for this?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jean

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• First of all i would advice to build your own network, this can also be a virtual network using VMware or Hyper-V for instance, so you can practice what you learn. second i would just use the Microsoft Learning books like MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit in combination with video tutorials or video training depending what your school can offer you. You can also find a lot of useful videos at http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/video/ff524488.aspx

With no experience it will take you at least 6 months before you understand what you read and are able to use you knowledge in a real environment.

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:45 AM Fix URL
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jean Stargir Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:06 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Jean,

normally you should have at least two years of experience in the appropriate technology, but if you want to prepare for the exam you should concentrate on the things mentioned on this site - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-640#tab2

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:44 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 4:09 PM
    Answerer
  • First of all i would advice to build your own network, this can also be a virtual network using VMware or Hyper-V for instance, so you can practice what you learn. second i would just use the Microsoft Learning books like MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit in combination with video tutorials or video training depending what your school can offer you. You can also find a lot of useful videos at http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/video/ff524488.aspx

With no experience it will take you at least 6 months before you understand what you read and are able to use you knowledge in a real environment.

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:45 AM Fix URL
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jean Stargir Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:06 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Thank you for the advice. It helped a lot. 6 months seems like a realistic ammount of time to fully prepare for this exam.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:08 PM