WHS Reinstallation fails with BSOS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have recently been having trouble with my WHS (I believe 2003?) getting hung in a bootloop.  Will not boot into recovery/safe mode.  So after reading on line, I decided to try reinstallation.  All went well up to "Installing files..." then when I checked on it, there was the BSOD. Sorry didn't get the error message because I tried to restart, but it would not let me reinstall and told me if I proceeded I would delete all my data.  I have very important financial files and I can see that the DATA partition is intact.  How can I recover and reinstall and still protect my data.  Is wiping the corrupted /SYS partition the answer.  I have to be sure as I said, there is important financial data in my User Directory on the /DATA partition.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:43 PM

Answers

• I decided to follow the FAQ step by step and retrieve the data files that are important and put on another non-WHS drive as I had planned to upgrade to WHS 2011.  So I will not be reinstalling WHS v1.  I have purchased new hardware, including new MB, CPU, and HDD (sata2) drive and will install WHS2011 to that setup and keep the original WHS v1 drive as a backup and copy the files back to the new WHS2011 machine once it is set up.
    • Marked as answer by Keith Boykin Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:30 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:30 PM

All replies

• Yes, try deleting the system partition, then reinstalling. Make very sure you only delete the system partition. If it BSODs again, and it's because of a STOP 0x0000007C error, it's almost certainly related to storage drivers, so make sure you have the right drivers (normally Windows Server 2003 x86), and that you supply them at the right times. Usually, this means supplying them twice, once during graphical setup to get your system drive visible to setup, then again just after the first reboot, at the text mode "Press F6" prompt. If you see a BSOD with any other STOP code, let us know or search for the code on e.g. Google.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Okay, I will try this and get back to you later.  I am en route to pick up new hardware to upgrade to WHS 2011.  I use a regular PC Case/components.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Ok I loaded this into a Vista Home Premium Machine and can clear see:  SYS (20 GB) and DATA (611 GB) in a 1 TB drive.  However, I am extremely nervous about deleting the SYS partition.  I can see the partitions where the data is stored and can access them after security is changed by Vista, but I cannot use the data.  Is there a way to extract the files onto the Vista Machine that I need as a safeguard if I hose the drive when I delete the SYS partition?  Thanks
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:13 AM
  • I decided to follow the FAQ step by step and retrieve the data files that are important and put on another non-WHS drive as I had planned to upgrade to WHS 2011.  So I will not be reinstalling WHS v1.  I have purchased new hardware, including new MB, CPU, and HDD (sata2) drive and will install WHS2011 to that setup and keep the original WHS v1 drive as a backup and copy the files back to the new WHS2011 machine once it is set up.
    • Marked as answer by Keith Boykin Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:30 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:30 PM