Products in CRM - are they needed if you don't use invoices RRS feed

• Question

• New to the forum, first post. We have a Dynamics 2013 CRM system. I was wondering about the need for products to be added to opportunities if 1) you are not selling wholesale, 2) the product prices change for nearly every product (e.g. consultancy or marketing service). Is there any value to having write in products instead or is this even needed (reporting or pipeline issues)? What do I lose if I don't use the products entity with the opportunities?

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally you do not need to use the products. You can always use just the write-in products.

Benefits of using existing products are: Consitent naming, easier reporting when you want to see which customer has which product, pricing is consistent, less errors

I would use write in products if you have only few people who create opportunities who you fully trust, if you provide flexible and ad-hoc services, if you need to be flexible in pricing.

Michal

• Marked as answer by MMGB Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:32 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:43 AM
  • Hello there,

A product in CRM is either a physical inventory item , or a service that a company sells.
    In case you already have prices defined for your products or services, its better to create them in CRM as well which can further be used in your opportunities, quotes and finally leading to order.

You can use write-in products on opportunity or quote in case you want to estimate something that is not in the product catalog or not created as a product in CRM. Write-in products allow you to type the name of a product or service and type in the price.

Both existing and write in products rolls up to the header so in case you have added three products be it existing or write-in on an opportunity their value shall be rolled up considering you have set revenue calculation to system calculated.

It depends how you use them, in case you dont maintain a product catalog its better to use writein products.

Hope it helps!

Regards, Abhishek Bakshi If you find this post helpful then please Vote as Helpful and Mark As Answer. Check my blog on https://mydynamicscrmblog.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by MMGB Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:31 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Yes, that would be advisable. That will give you a clarity about the opportunity products in case you offer various consultancy services, I would not recommend them to be clubbed as one.

Also in case you would want to use quotes, you would need to use opportunity products.

Hope it helps!

Regards, Abhishek Bakshi If you find this post helpful then please Vote as Helpful and Mark As Answer. Check my blog on https://mydynamicscrmblog.wordpress.com/

Friday, June 26, 2015 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally you do not need to use the products. You can always use just the write-in products.

Benefits of using existing products are: Consitent naming, easier reporting when you want to see which customer has which product, pricing is consistent, less errors

I would use write in products if you have only few people who create opportunities who you fully trust, if you provide flexible and ad-hoc services, if you need to be flexible in pricing.

Michal

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:43 AM
  • Hello there,

A product in CRM is either a physical inventory item , or a service that a company sells.
    In case you already have prices defined for your products or services, its better to create them in CRM as well which can further be used in your opportunities, quotes and finally leading to order.

You can use write-in products on opportunity or quote in case you want to estimate something that is not in the product catalog or not created as a product in CRM. Write-in products allow you to type the name of a product or service and type in the price.

Both existing and write in products rolls up to the header so in case you have added three products be it existing or write-in on an opportunity their value shall be rolled up considering you have set revenue calculation to system calculated.

It depends how you use them, in case you dont maintain a product catalog its better to use writein products.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by MMGB Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:31 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Both posts are helpful here and are helping with my understanding, thank you both.

So Products really need to be added for reporting and tax information, and not just left as won opportunities. 

May I ask, if you have a constant product e.g. consultancy, that remains the same in terms of name, but prices change with every purchase - do I still write in for those products?

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Yes, that would be advisable. That will give you a clarity about the opportunity products in case you offer various consultancy services, I would not recommend them to be clubbed as one.

Also in case you would want to use quotes, you would need to use opportunity products.

Hope it helps!

Friday, June 26, 2015 4:08 AM