can't restore my files RRS feed

• Question

• My files are backed up on my server 2003 machine and when I try to restore my backup after a ful install of windows one care makes me find the files that are visible on network snd then it errors out saying OneCare could not find a backup device or network folder containing a backup to restore. Please check to make sure that you location is available, and then try running restore again.

My ? is how do I fix this. I even transferred the backup to my pc that has live onecare on it and it want restore from there either.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 4:40 PM

Answers

• I assume that the backup was made to a Server Share. Is the PC you are trying to restore to the same PC that you backed up from? Is it also a reinstall of Windows or just OneCare? Did you select the option to perform a restore from another computer? Since it is at least a OneCare reinstall, it is a new PC to OneCare.

You can also try configuring backup on the PC to point to the Share and perform a small backup - select a file type that won't take long to backup or exclude most folders from being checked for files to be backed up. Upon completion of the new backup, try the custom restore again.

If you are still unable to restore, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:21 PM