help managing straight lines in panorama (plus stitching differences between ICE versions, and forum image upload issues) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm stitching a panoramic where the images include a wooden deck in the foreground.  In a previous version of ICE the straight lines on the deck (between wooden slats) would all line up correctly but they appeared to bow in the panorama.  I wanted to post for any advice or suggestions for coercing them to appear straight(er).  I am new, and I struggle to comprehend the projection options but have spent some time fumbling through the options, settings, and alternatives without a lot of luck.

On a tangent: I installed the newer version of ICE (2.0.3) and now the lines on the deck are straight but they aren't lining up at all.  The lines from the right image head off at one angle, the center image at a different angle, and the left image at a third angle.  It makes the deck look like a mosaic.  Any help uninstalling the newer version?  Or getting it to use the older version's algorithm to detect and match straight lines?

Sorry I don't have images to show what I'm talking about.  I've tried in 3 different browsers to upload them but with no success.  The images are 800K and when I try to upload them the dialog just spins for a while and then changes the "url" field to "https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/-1" and then it goes back to spinning indefinitely.

Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:19 PM

All replies

• It sounds like perhaps ICE 2.0.3 is automatically selecting one of the Planar Motion options instead of Rotating Motion for the Camera Motion setting.  You can override this automatic setting on the Import screen: to the right of the image thumbnails, change the Camera Motion setting to Rotating Motion (assuming you took the photos while rotating in place).

Once you move to the Stitch screen, you'll see a preview and the projection options.  Perspective projection is the only one that keeps all straight lines straight -- but at the cost of a limited field of view, with objects appearing stretched near the panorama edges.  All the other projections can map a wider field of view onto the final image -- but at the cost of some bending and squishing.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:00 PM