Basic Setup, How? RRS feed

• Question

• We currently do not have a PBX nor VOIP system in place.  We simply have local service (AT&T) with voicemail and all their features.  Our single location office does currently have a Windows server.

I have good understanding of servers, PC's and networking; but have no idea about SIP, PSTN, trunks, gateways etc.

How does the software side (OCS2007/Exchange 2007) connect up to hardware and AT&T, or the internet, to make outside calls?  Or can this only be done in when using a PBX or VOIP solution?

Please help me learn this stuff. Thanks.

Friday, June 15, 2007 3:57 AM

Answers

• There are basically 2 levels of telephony integration with OCS - 1) integrated outbound and inbound calling with remote call control and 2) the same thing without remote call control.  Since you don't have a PBX I'll ignore scenario #1.  Out of the box, Communicator can be used as a softphone to talk to other Communicator users.  You can add a SIP-PSTN gateway to your configuration to extend that functionality to inbound/outbound calling. 

To do this you need to acquire a SIP-PSTN gateway with enough analog ports to accomodate your existing phone lines.  You would use the gateway's routing capability along with the proper OCS configuration to direct calls appropriately.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:34 PM

All replies

• There are basically 2 levels of telephony integration with OCS - 1) integrated outbound and inbound calling with remote call control and 2) the same thing without remote call control.  Since you don't have a PBX I'll ignore scenario #1.  Out of the box, Communicator can be used as a softphone to talk to other Communicator users.  You can add a SIP-PSTN gateway to your configuration to extend that functionality to inbound/outbound calling. 

To do this you need to acquire a SIP-PSTN gateway with enough analog ports to accomodate your existing phone lines.  You would use the gateway's routing capability along with the proper OCS configuration to direct calls appropriately.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Excellent, that definately simplified things.  OCS can only enhance a PBX. 

What are examples of the hardware for SIP-PSTN gateway, something like a Cisco/Avaya/Nortel product? And can that simple OCS->PSTN setup handle extensions and voicemail with the help of Exchange 2007?

If the simple setup cannot do extensions, call forwarding, and voicemail; what kind of basic VOIP/PBX works well with OCS2007?

Thank you for the help.

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Audiocodes and Dialogic both make quality PSTN gateways, though there are definitely other options.

I've never tried to use Exchange 2007 UM without a PBX.  Depending on the capabilities of the PSTN gateway it may be possible, but I've never seen it implemented in this manner.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:31 PM
  • what about the script you said about for the inbound calls as the outbound worked good with us but inbound not. also what about the full bpx solution

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:54 PM
  • I updated my earlier post a bit - you can do this without a script.  Whether you're routing analog lines or a T1 interface from a PBX into the PSTN gateway, the configuration is the same.  The gateway receives inbound traffic from the telephony side, converts it to SIP, and routes the SIP notification to the appropriate place.  So if I have phone numbers +12125551000 through +12125551999 that I want integrated with OCS, I would tell the PSTN gateway to route those to the gateway facing IP address of my Mediation server.  In OCS I would direct all phone traffic to the gateway and then tell it how to route external phone numbers.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:21 PM