Changed Client Hard Drive - How to handle in WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced my system drive in one of my home PC's (From a Raptor 150GB to an Intel G2 SSD). I still want to keep backup info from how I had my PC configured previously until I'm certain I have everything I need, which means probably a good 6-12 months. You never know when you say "oh ____, I know I had that".

Problem is that when I run the connect software it sees it as a new PC.  I have five PC's on my home network (three desktops, two laptops). It's not a big deal now, but I just don't want it taking up one of my ten PC slots. Is there a way to tell WHS that this is the same computer but with a new hard drive? And actually I have two hard drives in this desktop that remained. Only the Windows boot drive was changed.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:17 AM

All replies

• While it's technically possible, there's no supported way to do this. It requires editing the registry on your server to tell your server the "new" computer is actually the "old" computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:08 PM
  • You might want to consider backup up your old computer backups somewhere else and then removing the old computer.  Alternatively you could restore you old computer to a virtual disk and store that image or convert it to a ghost image, zip archive or just hold it on the server in another folder - though you'll use the benefit of the WHS storing only different clusters so it will take up more space.

For now you could use one of the ten slots and revist this when you run out of slots.

--
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:20 PM