WHS 2011 - Microsoft Security Essentails support for WHS 2011? You allow MSE to be installed 10 times in companies, so why no support for WHS 2011???? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Microsoft,

In german WHS forums it rumors a lot that you will discontinue the support for WHS 2011 because of the low interest by customers....

Maybe it´s because you are very inconsistent in you product policy?

You website says, you allow MSE to be used in companies on up to 10 systems.
    So, why do you not allow MSE to be used on the WHS 2011?
    If I do a short search on the web, I´ll find several HowTo´s for removing the OS check forn the MSE installer, but it´s still a hack.
    I would like official support from Microsoft.

In our household, we legally buy my MS software for business and home use and in general, we are very happy with that. But sometimes, like in this case, you make your customers angry...

Please, remove - or change the OS check, to let MSE be installed on the WHS 2011.

It´s competition for the AV developer´s? Yes, but that´s the MSE on Windows PCs, too...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:56 PM

Answers

• No offense, but posting here is useless. If you want MSE supported on Windows Home Server, please go bug the MSE team about it. The Home and Small Business Server team has told them that users want an MSE version from Microsoft which will be supported, but nothing has emerged. And the HSBS team has no ability to change the support status of another product on their own.

Edit: Just to be clear, I happen to agree with the thought that it would be great if Microsoft released a version of Microsoft Security Essentials that would instll on Windows Home Server without hacking. And I've told Microsoft that. I don't honestly believe it will happen; MSE is blocked on all server operating systems by design, at least partly because Microsoft has a different product, Forefront, which you have to buy and which isn't blocked.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:32 PM

All replies

• Stefan

You will not generally get a reply from Microsoft on this forum. The only way of making suggestions like this is to open a Connect account if you don't already have one and provide feedback there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:17 PM
  • No offense, but posting here is useless. If you want MSE supported on Windows Home Server, please go bug the MSE team about it. The Home and Small Business Server team has told them that users want an MSE version from Microsoft which will be supported, but nothing has emerged. And the HSBS team has no ability to change the support status of another product on their own.

Edit: Just to be clear, I happen to agree with the thought that it would be great if Microsoft released a version of Microsoft Security Essentials that would instll on Windows Home Server without hacking. And I've told Microsoft that. I don't honestly believe it will happen; MSE is blocked on all server operating systems by design, at least partly because Microsoft has a different product, Forefront, which you have to buy and which isn't blocked.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:32 PM
  • StefanK77,

Although I think most of us share your sentiment and in fact I would go for "any" decent supported A/V,

Phil and Ken are right in that the SBS team may even see your thread here but will be unable to accomadate

you. I've been seeing more and more folks using unsupported A/Vs and then the same people having

performance issues and needing to file bug reports when their console or system experiences problems.

I'm hoping, like you - MS or another 3rd party will step up to the plate and make WHS 2011 the server

O/S it needs to be - for all of us.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:04 PM