Configuration of the OCS '07 R2 Archiving DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, have a Standard OCS '07/R2 install.  Wanted to spin up the Archiving service.   I did all the installs on the OCS box and wanted to host the SQL instance on our corporate SQL cluster.   When trying to run the "Activate Archiving Server" component, it won't let me define the database and location logs.

It almost seems as if I need to run the Activate Archiving server peice directly from the SQL server.   The SQL guys don't want me to do this because of some of the prerequisit pieces. 

Must do this last piece right from the SQL server itself?  I didn't see that in the documentation so I find it hard to belive.

My SQL guts are telling me:
    1.  I need to find a way to do the install from my OCS box -OR-
    2.  Install SQL on the ocs box, complete the install, migrate the SQL DB from the OCS to the corporate SQL server and point my app to the corp SQL box.

Any guidance?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers

• By 'won't let you define the ... locations' do you mean you aren't getting to a screen in the wizard asking for the location paths, or that it's not accepting what you are entering?

Step 4 on that section (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425327(office.13).aspx) is where you'd specify an existing SQL Server instance.  Because the Monitoring service requires a dedicated instance, you can't tell it to use a specific database.  OCS databases (Back-end, Monitoring, etc) all have hardcoded database names and must reside in their own instances.

My lab is currently being rebuilt so I don't have access to an R2 Monitor server to check the wizard window.  Feel free to email me a screenshot if you want.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• By 'won't let you define the ... locations' do you mean you aren't getting to a screen in the wizard asking for the location paths, or that it's not accepting what you are entering?

Step 4 on that section (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425327(office.13).aspx) is where you'd specify an existing SQL Server instance.  Because the Monitoring service requires a dedicated instance, you can't tell it to use a specific database.  OCS databases (Back-end, Monitoring, etc) all have hardcoded database names and must reside in their own instances.

My lab is currently being rebuilt so I don't have access to an R2 Monitor server to check the wizard window.  Feel free to email me a screenshot if you want.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I'm in the same boat as brent. My Archiving server is sitting next to my front ends and I'm trying to connect to a clustered SQL instance on our enterprise SQL farm. The connection seems to be made over 1433 TCP perfectly and I get to the screen that asks about Reusing Exisiting Databases, it then goes to a screen that asks for 'Location for Database Files' and asks for local paths to both the Database and Transaction logs. Leaving the default paths shown throws a "Database installation path must be a valid local path" error.

Seeing that I'm connecting to a remote SQL instance shouldn't I not get the option to define the database file locations as that is already dealt with by the SQL server?

While I'm waiting on someone to respond to this thread I see that right before the Location for Database Files screen is shown the archiving server attempts to access the SQL server over epmap (TCP 135). I'll have the network team open up that port on the firewall between the two hosts to see if that helps.

UPDATE: TCP 135 opened between archiving and SQL server but no luck there. There are connections being made to the SQL server over epmap though.

UPDATE 2: Opening TCP 49154 between OCSARCH01 and OCSARCHSQL allowed the install to continue and the local paths off of the SQL cluster to be enumerated. I'm not going with the defaults so I changed those. Am getting an error creating the db now and I see there are other threads about that so I'm gonna research that now.

UPDATE 3: We ended up having to sniff out ports between the archiving server and the SQL farm and these came out in the scans: TCP 49010, 49191, 445 and UDP 137. There were some others that had to be opened while the DB was being created and service started. My advice is to have your network team watch the firewall logs between these two servers while you're doing the installs.

My server is now up and logging traffic.
    • Edited by chrism103 Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by chrism103 Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:45 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:47 PM