Can't activate windows on my Dell Inspiron e1505 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently got a Dell Inspiron e1505 and am having serious issues trying to activate windows. The computer starts up and runs perfectly, there's nothing wrong with it other than the issue of windows not activating.

The computer is running on Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3

I was told a new product key was put on the computer and it is an official Microsoft/Dell sticker.

I have tried multiple times to activate the computer using the key on the sticker and everytime it says that the key was mistyped.

After getting frustrated with online activation I tried doing the "Activate by phone" option.
    I spoke to a microsoft employee who informed me that I was trying to activate "Windows XP Professional" and not "Windows XP Media center Edition". Suprised, I told the employee that I was not trying to activate "Windows XP Professional" and they transferred me over to Microsoft Support.

After speaking with the support employee they could not come up with a good reason as to why I can't activate windows. They said the key was vaild and my best option was to call Dell support and get a restoration CD and try to restore the computer to factory settings. I couldn't get in contact with a Dell representative so I went to the Dell website and was not able to find the recovery CDs for my computer.

I've used Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and this is what I got:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4RFBV-TFY3R-37J23
    Windows Product Key Hash: Y3e+et9q4JpA/EkUaUpHOVPRuN8=
    Windows Product ID: 55034-365-9567573-22062
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med
    ID: {B854EC9C-405B-425F-B335-2492A6C6D791}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B854EC9C-405B-425F-B335-2492A6C6D791}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-37J23</PKey><PID>55034-365-9567573-22062</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1935655697-790525478-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>MM061                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A17</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070613000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>564736070184607E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 4000:Dell Inc|4000:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

So, is there anyway I can get my computer to activate windows without having to restore to factory settings?

If not, where can I get the CDs needed to restore my computer back to factory settings?

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

• "kamon3169" wrote in message news:bbfbc36f-5dd3-4087-9e8b-ae3bd13f654b...

Here's exactly what the sticker says, from right to left:
    Sideways on the left is: Proof of License Certicate of Authenticity
    Then the rest of it says:
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Dell
    Then it shows a barcode with numbers to the right.
    Then it says: Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-FC9XQ
    Under that is another barcode
    Under that barcode is numbers.

Under the numbers is:
    Microsoft

Then next to that is:
    www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell
    2004 Microsoft Coporation

Then sideways and on the right is:
    a set of numbers and under that is: Label not to be sold seperatly.

The product key obiously doesn't show a bunch of ***** but I put those there so my key isn't stolen.
    This was the key that the microsoft employee told me was valid.

Your post did bring me to find something though, when I go to System Properties under General it says:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Registerd to:
    My name

Now, the sticker on the back says it's for Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005.
    Is this what's causing the problem?

If so, what should I do? 

Also, I've tried the change product key route allready and have had no success.

The part you edited out is almost irrelevant – it’s the product ID, which is NOT unique, since it’s generated at installation by the OS using a combination of the Product Key and the hardware.
    And yes – that is your problem.
    You need a copy of MCE 2005 to be able to use an MCE 2005 Key.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:24 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Please see: Request Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:23 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:57 PM

All replies

• "kamon3169" wrote in message news:588a19b1-478d-4d04-8693-38f13598ddcb...

Hello, I recently got a Dell Inspiron e1505 and am having serious issues trying to activate windows. The computer starts up and runs perfectly, there's nothing wrong with it other than the issue of windows not activating.

I was told a new product key was put on the computer and it is an official Microsoft/Dell sticker.

I have tried multiple times to activate the computer using the key on the sticker and everytime it says that the key was mistyped.

After getting frustrated with online activation I tried doing the "Activate by phone" option.
    I spoke to a microsoft employee who informed me that I was trying to activate "Windows XP Professional" and not "Windows XP Media center Edition". Suprised, I told the employee that I was not trying to activate "Windows XP Professional" and they transferred me over to Microsoft Support.

After speaking with the support employee they could not come up with a good reason as to why I can't activate windows. They said the key was vaild and my best option was to call Dell support and get a restoration CD and try to restore the computer to factory settings. I couldn't get in contact with a Dell representative so I went to the Dell website and was not able to find the recovery CDs for my computer.

Other data-->
    SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>MM061                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A17</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070613000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS

N/A

So, is there anyway I can get my computer to activate windows without having to restore to factory settings?

If not, where can I get the CDs needed to restore my computer back to factory settings?

I don’t know why you were told this Key was valid – it’s a Default Key, which cannot be activated.

ALL XP Windows Media Center Keys are OEM Keys – and your Key shows as being a Retail one (which is why I suspect it’s the Default Key)

Unfortunately, the Windows Product Key Update Tool does not work for MCE – so I suspect that you are going to have to reinstall.

What does the COA Sticker on your computer actually state as being the licensed version and edition of Windows?
    Is the Key on the sticker the one above?

Assuming the Key on the sticker is different (because if it’s not, it’s a counterfeit), then try the Key change instructions here....
    Note that I have no idea if they work!

If they don’t work, then you are going to have to try and find a set of Recovery Disks from Dell – either direct, or you can try restoredisks.com or similar professional companies. I generally recommend against trying random p2p downloads, as they are likely to be infested with malware of one kind or another.

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:52 PM
  • "kamon3169" wrote in message news:588a19b1-478d-4d04-8693-38f13598ddcb...

Hello, I recently got a Dell Inspiron e1505 and am having serious issues trying to activate windows. The computer starts up and runs perfectly, there's nothing wrong with it other than the issue of windows not activating.

Other data-->
    SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>MM061                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A17</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070613000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS

N/A

If not, where can I get the CDs needed to restore my computer back to factory settings?

I don’t know why you were told this Key was valid – it’s a Default Key, which cannot be activated.

ALL XP Windows Media Center Keys are OEM Keys – and your Key shows as being a Retail one (which is why I suspect it’s the Default Key)

Unfortunately, the Windows Product Key Update Tool does not work for MCE – so I suspect that you are going to have to reinstall.

What does the COA Sticker on your computer actually state as being the licensed version and edition of Windows?
    Is the Key on the sticker the one above?

Assuming the Key on the sticker is different (because if it’s not, it’s a counterfeit), then try the Key change instructions here....
    Note that I have no idea if they work!

If they don’t work, then you are going to have to try and find a set of Recovery Disks from Dell – either direct, or you can try restoredisks.com or similar professional companies. I generally recommend against trying random p2p downloads, as they are likely to be infested with malware of one kind or another.

Dell
    Then it says: Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-FC9XQ 

Under the numbers is:
    Microsoft

Then next to that is:

Then sideways and on the right is:
    a set of numbers and under that is: Label not to be sold seperatly.

The product key obiously doesn't show a bunch of ***** but I put those there so my key isn't stolen.
    This was the key that the microsoft employee told me was valid.

Your post did bring me to find something though, when I go to System Properties under General it says:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Registerd to:
    My name

Computer:
    Genuine Intel(R) CPU
    T2050 @ 1.60GHz

798 MHx, 3.24 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Now, the sticker on the back says it's for Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005. 
    Is this what's causing the problem?

If so, what should I do?  

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:09 PM
  • "kamon3169" wrote in message news:bbfbc36f-5dd3-4087-9e8b-ae3bd13f654b...

Dell
    Then it says: Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-FC9XQ

Under the numbers is:
    Microsoft

Then next to that is:

Then sideways and on the right is:
    a set of numbers and under that is: Label not to be sold seperatly.

This was the key that the microsoft employee told me was valid.

Your post did bring me to find something though, when I go to System Properties under General it says:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Registerd to:
    My name

Is this what's causing the problem?

If so, what should I do? 

The part you edited out is almost irrelevant – it’s the product ID, which is NOT unique, since it’s generated at installation by the OS using a combination of the Product Key and the hardware.
    And yes – that is your problem.
    You need a copy of MCE 2005 to be able to use an MCE 2005 Key.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:24 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Please see: Request Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:23 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:57 PM