WHS on SoA :) RRS feed

• General discussion

• 'lo all,

Just returned home for the easter break, so got a chance to have a play with WHS beta, impressed so far. Couple of Questions/comments for consideration though...

Limited driver support - this is especially noticeable from the point of view of network adapters it supports out of the box. As far as I understand it this is built in a similar way to Server 2003? If so, wouldn't it be simpler to include the driver support from that (every NIC I've used in a server has been supported, be it a 10/100 or Gigabit Fibre NIC)?

Hard Disk requirements - As much as I like how it neatly partitions everything for me, I would be mightily tempted to use a separate disk entirely for the OS. Something like a 36gb Raptor, or one of the 10k 18gb SCSI drives I'm considering buying (ex Server use - RAID 5 Hot Spare). This would cause the installer to hiccup and say basically sod off. It would be good to have the option of installing this disc for just the OS, and keeping the data completely separate. At the moment I've got an 80gb drive which is partitioned for both, but I would prefer it on two separate discs, is there anyway to do this?

Probably have more thoughts/comments as I go along, but thats all for now.

Spec for reference:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palamino Core, 266FSB)
    ECS K7S5A
    512mb DDR-266
    80gb Samsung Spinpoint
    DVD/CD-RW
    Radeon 7500 (hey, it works :))
    Netgear FA311 (just for testing)

Dave

(edit - wasn't sure which forum to put this in, as its both a question and suggestion, if appropriate I'll repost later)
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:24 PM

All replies

• I expect that there will be somewhat better driver support in the final version of WHS. I don't expect it to contain as wide a range as a typical consumer OS, though.

As for partitioning: no, there's no way to force WHS to use separate disks for the system partition and the primary data partition.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:33 PM
  • My NIC, a Netgear GA311, didn't have a driver for Windows Server 2003.  I used the one for Windows XP, and it performs flawlessly.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:58 PM
  • I tried installing the Netgear GA311 Windows XP driver but the OS told me it would not work. Can you elaborate on how you managed Home Server to accept the nic?

Mathijs
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:07 AM
  • As I recall, I ingnored the warning and told WHS to use it anyway.  I think the warning that I saw was that it isn't digitally signed.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:44 AM
  •  dave87 wrote:
    'lo all,

Just returned home for the easter break, so got a chance to have a play with WHS beta, impressed so far. Couple of Questions/comments for consideration though...

Hard Disk requirements - As much as I like how it neatly partitions everything for me, I would be mightily tempted to use a separate disk entirely for the OS. Something like a 36gb Raptor, or one of the 10k 18gb SCSI drives I'm considering buying (ex Server use - RAID 5 Hot Spare). This would cause the installer to hiccup and say basically sod off. It would be good to have the option of installing this disc for just the OS, and keeping the data completely separate. At the moment I've got an 80gb drive which is partitioned for both, but I would prefer it on two separate discs, is there anyway to do this?

Please remember that this will be a 'device' OS.  I *REALLY* doubt we'll ever see a WHS appliance that has SCSI drives in it.  Or even a Raptor.  We'll see the low-end 'server' SATA drives by WD and Seagate.  And because it will be an 'appliance', manufacturers won't want to have a separate drive just for the OS.  With only 10 GB needed for the OS, and the smallest 3.5" drive currently manufacturered at 40 GB, it just doesn't make sense to dedicate a drive to the OS.

Yes, this and other features would be nice for a user-installable server OS, but that's not what WHS is.

Monday, April 2, 2007 5:47 AM